Have you rode the tube chutes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some friends and I went to the Comal last night. We had a great long dive from Prince Solms park all the way to the Rockin R. We walked around the chutes; Prince Solms chute was especially nasty. Even getting in the water on the other side of the chute, there is a washing machine effect that pulls you back towards the wall. There is one heck of a rip-tide effect going on there! It seems like you could get sucked into a really bad situation and be thrown against the wall repeatedly if you got caught in that? The 2nd chute was not bad and the third one looked like you really could just go with it.
If you have actually rode a tube chute, tell us which chute and what was your experience?

We used to go there occasionally when I was in high school and college. We would try different ways to run the chutes; face down, backwards, tubeless. Alcohol was involved. Fortunately, I survived with minimal brain damage. :confused:

The first shoot was pretty crazy. Second one was do-able, third one was deep and looked like a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3093.jpg
    IMG_3093.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 44
Very nice photos! :D

That third pic is the place where we were so lucky to have the clean up this past weekend. We had to be VERY QUICK in some areas to grab the trash as we passed it doing about 45 knotts, lol.
It was fun and an enjoyable challenge.

I friggin LOVE riding the toob chutes! All of them are fun, but the first is my favorite.

As you're approaching the top, position your fins downstream, lie on your back, inflate your BC (very important) and put a hand over your mask & reg so they don't go different directions when you hit the bottom. :D

The camera crew covering TrashFest last weekend actually did the first chute standing up! I still can't figure out how he pulled that one off, and certainly wouldn't recommend it.

There's only one ride that's more fun than the Comal tube chutes, but I'm keeping that one a closely guarded secret...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom