Have you lost dive buddies because:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have you lost dive buddies because they didn't want to go the DIR route with you?

My best friend and dive buddy doesn't agree with several aspects of DIR including the equipment config and rock bottom planning. To name only a couple. We still dive together on simple dives but I'm not sure how far to trust him really.

the question was, how many of you have lost friends and/or dive buddies due to these differences of opinion?

so you could trust him before you took DIR-F but now that you have taken a class, your buddy is no longer safe? Or is it that with this class you now do dives that are beyond his capabilities?

I haven't taken the course. I just drank the coolade :)

LOL ......... how could you not agree with Rock Bottom calcs? What's his alternative plan?

Either force him to dive your way, because it's right :D, or I guess it's game over.

I guess I can say I've lost buddies in part because of the way they dive that I no longer accept, but the reality of it is I've gained others that I am more happy to dive with, so I don't feel the loss.

I would be nice to not to have done so, but nobody gets through life unscathed.

Hopefully he'll come around and it won't be an issue.

I will admit the more I dive, the smaller my circle of acceptable dive buddies get. My wife calls me a complete snob. :wink:

So far I've come home from every dive weekend too.......

David P:
so you could trust him before you took DIR-F but now that you have taken a class, your buddy is no longer safe? Or is it that with this class you now do dives that are beyond his capabilities?

Ignorance is bliss. What you might have thought was safe really wasn't and what you don't know can hurt you.

You didn't lose him because he wouldn't go DIR, you lost him because you choose not to dive with him.

If he is doing something that's unsafe, its probably not a good idea to dive with him.

Both of my buddies are not "DIR", but safe. We all understand the positives and negatives of our methods and we get along great. If one of them was unsafe and endangered myself, I'd stay on land for that dive.

Try to educate your friend about they why's of DIR, don;t try and force feed it. Many people don't understand rock bottom and such. I had to teach my friends some of it, and as a result, we are a better team.

Take the class!

Only Dennis. (thanks J---OEX2)

Never lost any. Just gained a bunch.

Lets go diving Dennis. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom