Have you ever run out of gas, or been close?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been out of air once when my reg went in to free flow towards the end of a deep dive (32m) I didn't panic me and my buddy stayed close and went up when the reg became hard to breath i asked for his Octo and went up no problem I'm guessing the important thing was keeping my cool during the whole process

I've never even come close. I'm with TSandM...just don't understand all the OOA incidents...too easy to avoid.

Not in my car or while diving. I pay attention to details that could leave me stranded or possibly kill me.

Nope ... never. It seems so increadibly easy to avoid, I can't even fathom diving with such little regard for my situational awarness.

Excluding mechanical failure there is absolutely no excuse for running out of gas. I have never been surprised by "running out", have never been close, but have done so purposely in shallow water.

Many years ago, when I still had very few dives after qualification I was doing my 2nd or 3rd night dive. It was just me and the instructor. We'd been under for a long time and after being deeper we were just looking around in about 6 or 7m. When my SPG was at 60bar I showed it to the instructor. The answer came back "just a little more". The same thing happened at 50bar and at 40bar and at 30bar. Then at around 20 indicated I pulled my last breaths from the reg and surfaced. No biggie, we were shallow except that while we were under the weather had changed. We started the dive in a flat calm and came up into a howling gale and we were about 300m from the boat. What would have been an easy and comfortable return just below the surface turned into a really miserable surface swim against the wind and waves, even with a snorkel.
For me that was an important lesson early on.
Never trust an instructor.
Make your own decisions.
Always keep a reserve of air.

Touch wood (hand on my head), never. I would also like to keep it that way!

... during an unnecessary safety stop at the end

So I just popped up from 4m-5m.

You scare me......

I have ran out of gas twice. Once was during a pool session of my OW course, I was given a tank with a faulty J-valve, It read 500psi, but there was no air coming. I figured out how to do a CESA without instruction :( . Second, was during Ocean dive #1 of my OW course. Another faulty J-valve! Just my luck right. Only this time it happened while i was getting out of the water and exiting while waist deep from shore, so i just spit the reg out and started breathing.

This taught me to learn as much about gear as I possibly could. I now make sure all my gear is in exact functioning order whether it is mine, or someone else's.

Never had a OOG unexpectedly underwater, I ran tanks way low (to the point of breathing resistance) twice last time in Cozumel when I surfaced with plenty of gas but then put the regulator in waiting for others to get on the boat when I can smell the diesel exhaust, I hate exhaust. I have also intentionally run a tank low to see if the breathing resistance felt the same in shallow water, and it did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom