Have you ever run out of gas, or been close?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have resisted this thread for awhile now, but feel like i should put down my experience too. Last year, when i got back into diving (and with only 20 dives under my belt) i took a nitrox course in NC. Twice I had to share air with my instructor because I was a hoover, my situational awareness was horrible, and I had no idea how i should be calculating and planning dives. A few months later I took another course and even though basic in its goals it taught me everything else I actually needed and have returned to the boat/shore with exactly the psi I planned to return with.

Knowing how to calculate your gas consumption and how much gas you will need is an often ignored but super important skill.

When i was a probationary firefighter I was doing a primary search, and my low air alarm started to go off, so I notified the guy leading the search. One of the more seasoned firefighters turned around and said, well use up the last of the fresh air and then just cover your nose with your hood. Breathing smoke was kind of par for the course where I fought fire.
Yeah, we used to do too much of that too. Now at 55 with 20 years of it, I worry about the long term issues. But hey, the sun's out here today!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom