• No, I have never been sued

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Yes, I have been sued once

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Yes, I have been sued more than once

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My girlfriend (now my wife) was using my car one day, and when she hit a speedbump in a bank parking lot, one of her passangers bumped her head on the ceiling (supposedly). So she sued me because my girlfriend didn't tell her to wear her seatbelt, the insurance company gave her 5 grand to go away. The insurance lawyers were cool though, they knew it was a BS suit, not bad driving so no surcharge.

TT :11:

The risk of running a small business.

A bride sued me for the cost of her photography.

This was small claims.

She said the photo's were not as good as her sisters. Her sister hired a NY professional, and the samples she submitted from that studio where done in studio using a Scene Machine which allows one to place people in front of images, the TajMahal for example. His charge was over 5K for the wedding and studio work, I think I was charging $1200, and she opted not to do anything in studio, so everything was shot on location.

In any event, I submitted my portfolio, and her proofs. The judge said he wished his Wedding photo's were half as good as the ones I shot for this Bride.

He dismissed the case. The Bride than had the nerve to ask me about when she could meet for reprints... I think I referenced HELL freezing over.

I should have seen this coming, this was a Bridezilla from Hades.

In any event, if it's small claims court, there is no cost to defend ones self.

If one needs a lawyer to defend against a lawsuit, the price is going to vary A LOT depending upon the amount, the complexity of the case, and if it goes to trial.

Let's face it, most of us will NOT get sued as we just don't have the assets to cover a huge settlement/Award. The Lawyers are going to go after the insurance company, or the manufacture of the products involved... etc....

RonFrank:
Let's face it, most of us will NOT get sued as we just don't have
the assets to cover a huge settlement/Award. The Lawyers are going to go after the
insurance company, or the manufacture of the products involved... etc....

this is my impression too, from eight years of work in the legal field (counting
internships during law school). in two words, "deep pockets."

however, most people seem to walk around thinking that they can be sued
at any time (which is, technically speaking, true -- but not the case in
the real world as i know it)

H2Andy:
this is my impression too, from eight years of work in the legal field (counting
internships during law school). in two words, "deep pockets."

however, most people seem to walk around thinking that they can be sued
at any time (which is, technically speaking, true -- but not the case in
the real world as i know it)

Please quantify "deep pockets".

anybody who works for a living doesn't have deep pockets, whether on their
own or for hire

i would imagine that anyone who can't pay a $100,000 judgment, mininum, is
probably not considered a deep pocket (the lawyer gets about $33,000)

a deep pocket is an independently wealthy person, or a medium-size or larger
business, with sufficient assets to cover such a jugment.

OR

someone who has insurance to cover the judgment, in which case the insurance
should defend you and cover the costs of the defense

I was named in some lawsuits during my time in the healthcare field. The most ludicrous time was when I was an O.R. supervisor. I walked into one of the surgery suites to do air quality testing. I collected the sample and left. Apparently something wasn't right about the patients post operative recovery and the lawsuit was filed. The simple act of walking into the room apparently constituted contact with the patient. Of course nothing came of it for me and I never heard anything more about it. Only once have I had to give a deposition in a case I was named in. I was able to justify my actions regarding my time with that patient and that was the end of it for me. There's nothing like excellent documentation based on and supporting proper practice to defend oneself.

H2Andy:
anybody who works for a living doesn't have deep pockets, whether on their
own or for hire

i would imagine that anyone who can't pay a $100,000 judgment, mininum, is
probably not considered a deep pocket (the lawyer gets about $33,000)

a deep pocket is an independently wealthy person, or a medium-size or larger
business, with sufficient assets to cover such a jugment.

OR

someone who has insurance to cover the judgment, in which case the insurance
should defend you and cover the costs of the defense

SCUBA is an expensive hobby. And alot of people involved with SCUBA may have worked in other industries before. Interestingly enough - I've seen many of those people volunteering their professional (diving) services to the local dive shop.

So - turning around your words a little - if a person had a savings account with more than $100,000 (say $200,000) they have deep pockets ? Now that would be an interesting ScubaBoard poll.

(I'm sorry if I'm taking this thread off its intended course)

lhpdiver:
So - turning around your words a little - if a person had a savings account with more than $100,000 (say $200,000) they have deep pockets ? Now that would be an interesting ScubaBoard poll.

sort of... they have to have that much in "collectible" assets. there's a lot of
assets that are protected (by homestead excemptions, head of household, etc.)

(please keep in mind this is not legal adivice. do not listen to anything i've said!
contact an attorney licensed to practice in your state who is familiar with these
issues)

Never been sued yet. . . Currently working on it though. . . .

Reminds me though . . now, where did I put those photos?

I think that if you had in excess of 100k in savings and were working in the dive industry just for the enjoyment of it, at the first sign of a lawsuit, you and your money would be offshore before the first paper was served.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom