Have you been to Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveWarden

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to head down to Rodan or Utila in Honduras this November for a couple of weeks. Have you been there? Where would you suggest staying… I see that CoCo View and Anthony’s Key look pretty good… Would you suggest either of them or some other resort? Which do you think is better… Rodan or Utila? Any suggestions that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps!!!

Bill

DiveWarden:
I would like to head down to Rodan or Utila in Honduras this November for a couple of weeks. Have you been there? Where would you suggest staying… I see that CoCo View and Anthony’s Key look pretty good… Would you suggest either of them or some other resort? Which do you think is better… Rodan or Utila? Any suggestions that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps!!!

Bill

Hola, Bill!

Even though I'm not an official greeter (tm), WELCOME TO SCUBABOARD!!! :jump:

That said, I have two answers to your question.

(1) You could send me to the Bay Islands, & force me to sample both Anthony's Key and Coco View. Then, send me to Utila, where I will sacrifice myself in determining the best place :wink:

(2) If the first alternative doesn't strike you, you could wander over to the South America travel forum and read the various trip reports posted by various people. There's a very recent post from someone who was both at CocoView & also Utila, with gorgeous photos. There's a not-so-recent post of someone who did a similar trip, and compared to an Anthony's Key trip a year or so back. There's also an Anthony's Key report. All raved. Do a search in the South America forum.

DiveWarden:

Thanks heaps!!!

Bill

Roatan is easier to get to, and will have more to offer as far as non-diving activities. Utila is know for Whale sharks, and you would need to go AI (all inclusive), or at least that is what I have been told. In Roatan, you don't have to go AI. Look in the South American forum, there is tons of stuff in there about both Islands, or just re-ask your question there. I would go to either one, but have only been to Roatan, so I will speak of it. Given the choice between AKR and CoCo View, I would choose CCV. I have never stayed there, but if I was going just for the diving, that is where I would choose. We stayed and dove with bananaramadive.com very basic, but a good operation, I would go back there in a heartbeat.

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at Bay Island Beach Resort and loved it. More intimate and family like than the other larger resorts. I think November is in the raining season in the Bay Islands. And, it is called Roatan.

Thanks for the offer (I will consider it...NOT!)... and I do thank you for the alternative!

Take care!

Bill

Even though I'm not an official greeter (tm), WELCOME TO SCUBABOARD!!! :jump:

That said, I have two answers to your question.

(1) You could send me to the Bay Islands, & force me to sample both Anthony's Key and Coco View. Then, send me to Utila, where I will sacrifice myself in determining the best place :wink:

(2) If the first alternative doesn't strike you, you could wander over to the South America travel forum and read the various trip reports posted by various people. There's a very recent post from someone who was both at CocoView & also Utila, with gorgeous photos. There's a not-so-recent post of someone who did a similar trip, and compared to an Anthony's Key trip a year or so back. There's also an Anthony's Key report. All raved. Do a search in the South America forum.[/QUOTE]

Thanks heaps!

Do you see any whale sharks at Rodan while you were there?

:)

Bill

kent_1848:
Roatan is easier to get to, and will have more to offer as far as non-diving activities. Utila is know for Whale sharks, and you would need to go AI (all inclusive), or at least that is what I have been told. In Roatan, you don't have to go AI. Look in the South American forum, there is tons of stuff in there about both Islands, or just re-ask your question there. I would go to either one, but have only been to Roatan, so I will speak of it. Given the choice between AKR and CoCo View, I would choose CCV. I have never stayed there, but if I was going just for the diving, that is where I would choose. We stayed and dove with bananaramadive.com very basic, but a good operation, I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Roatan?!? I thought that Roatan was the big turtle monster that Godzilla fought!

Thanks for the info!

Bill

SoCalOffshore:
We were just there a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at Bay Island Beach Resort and loved it. More intimate and family like than the other larger resorts. I think November is in the raining season in the Bay Islands. And, it is called Roatan.

My daugther was on Utila for 3 months and just got back. I went to visit her twice. It was great, I really loved it and plan to go back again in July with the whole family. I stayed with my daughter while there. We were at Countryside. The second time we went, it was Semana Santa. They kicked my daughter out of her room so they could gouge the tourists for the week. She secured us a room there and they gouged us at $10 a night. ( I'll volunteer to be gouged on Utila anytime). We visited several other DMTs while there and I saw a variety of rooms and Countryside was the nicest of the places that DMTs stay. I am sure the resorts are nice but they are much more pricey. Rooms and food can be very cheap on Utila if you are adventurous enough to not do an AI. Underwaterdentist (my daughters scubaboard name) can give you more insight if you want to pm her.

Thanks heaps!!

Bill

Sue-ba Lips:
My daugther was on Utila for 3 months and just got back. I went to visit her twice. It was great, I really loved it and plan to go back again in July with the whole family. I stayed with my daughter while there. We were at Countryside. The second time we went, it was Semana Santa. They kicked my daughter out of her room so they could gouge the tourists for the week. She secured us a room there and they gouged us at $10 a night. ( I'll volunteer to be gouged on Utila anytime). We visited several other DMTs while there and I saw a variety of rooms and Countryside was the nicest of the places that DMTs stay. I am sure the resorts are nice but they are much more pricey. Rooms and food can be very cheap on Utila if you are adventurous enough to not do an AI. Underwaterdentist (my daughters scubaboard name) can give you more insight if you want to pm her.

I have been to Roatan and stayed at Coco View. First the diving was fantastic and the shore dive off Coco View was great with the wreck right out there as well. The staff at Coco View was great and the place was fairly nice. Not quite as clean as I would like but not bad. The only real complaint I had were that the food was just OK but the diving made up for that. The main problem is the darn bugs there! They bite the daylights out of you and they are serious about it so be sure to bring tons on repellent and a few different types as nothing seemed to work for more than a few days. I also did the Dolphin dive at Anthony's, looked nice but I did not see much of it.

Back
Top Bottom