Have to choose between this 2 Computers. Suunto D9 tx vs Suunto D6i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawkenph

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I am planning to start doing Enriched Air Dive nxt month and with in a yr or so, Start doing tec diving. And its hard to choose which one to get. Any input I would bve very thankful for. I just want to make sure my nxt computer will grow with me (maybe I just answered my own question, hehehehe).
Kurt in Cebu

skip the recreational dive computers... go with a cochran... if you buy the emc-20h, you can start with just air and nitrox programmed in, and then it can be upgraded as you go... no sense in buying computer after computer...

if you decide to buy one, get it from here: cochran emc-20h

joel will give you a good deal!

--carlos

hi,
Thank you for your help,
Just one problem. As far as I know no one can service the Cochran here in the Philippines. And that
s one of the reasons I picked these. But, I am still very open to computers that I can get serviced here with..
Kurt in Cebu

there shouldn't be any reason to service the unit, but if you did have to, cochran has the best customer service. international shipping will be worth the cost for one of the best dive computers in the world. good luck on your choices...

--carlos

For recreational diving and nitrox why not just get a Suunto Zoop.
I personally can't stand them but they are a really good computer. IF they go wrong, they are cheap enough to throw away and replace.

Do they make a Cochran in an AI model?

Thanks

If you want AI then I would highly recomend the SOL or Luna.

The Suunto D9tx is not a recreational DC; it's a fully functional OC trimix DC. Based on your question around either a D9/D6 I would suggest the D9tx purely because it will help you grow into tec and supports OC trimix. I own several Suuntos and love them.

That being said you still need to get a better understanding of deco profiles and various types of algorithms and get a feeling of what will work better for you (how do you feel getting out of the water after a deco dive). The Suuntos use RGBM and once you buy one you tied yourself to a specific profile shape before even getting to understand other options like VPM, GAP or buhlmann with variances utilising gradient factors. So please understand that as you grow and learn you might need something else (just a heads-up).

Within the Suunto range you can opt for either the D9tx or Helo2 (also trimix but large display) both will serve you well and will grow with you during your tec path. The Suunto options are also cheaper than some of the other option available, at least around here.

You could also utilise either of these as backup devices to something else or use them in gauge mode and dive of slates. The Suunto range is also limited to 100m in dive mode. I dive my D9 in gauge mode and Helo2 in dive mode with slates as backup.
Feel free to PM if you want more info or have questions. They are very good DC, but understand where you want to go and how you want to get there.

Back
Top Bottom