have a question for UW-Photog that dive drysuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwdiver2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a question for UW-Photog that dive drysuits.

What do you do with your camera on ascent? How do you dump your BC and let air out of your drysuit and handle your camera?

I clip my camera onto my BC, but I always open out the shoulder dump to almost fully open and it vents itself so that I only have to vent air from the BC on the ascent.

Not clear on what the problem is since it only takes one hand to dump from either, but....

Hold the camera in my right hand.

TO dump BC, reach back and dump rear release with left hand(I ascend horizontally, so this works well). If I am vertical for some reason, can use the LP hose

To dump drysuit, lift left arm, dump is on shoulder (and dump is always full open)

Chris

A side question I have is why you need to dump your BC in the first place. If you're properly weighted you shouldn't need extra buoyancy from your BC. I only put air in my BC at the surface, or when by accident I've used too much weight.

Generally any time I'm in the water, my camera is clipped off --using one of those "snappy coils". During the dive itself I unclip the coil for full extension, then typically during ascent/descent the coil is clipped.

That way I know if I need both hands I know the camera is secure at all times, and during the ascent/descent it won't be much of a drag if I need both hands and need to let go for some reason.

i either hold it or stow it in my right BC pocket. fits really nice.

if it didn't, i would have to clip it on.

nwdiver2:
I have a question for UW-Photog that dive drysuits.

What do you do with your camera on ascent? How do you dump your BC and let air out of your drysuit and handle your camera?
I just hold the cameras in my right hand like normal. I have a cuff dump valve on my left wrist that I adjust to always be fully open (When I raise my left hand, it dumps). If I raised my B.C. hose over my head to dump air from my b.c., air would dump from my drysuit at the same time.

Once you put air into your dry suit it becomes a BC, and you dive it as such. There is no need to put any air into your regular BC during a dive. If you need extra floatation on the surface ok. So - camera in one hand & work the dry suit with the other, although for a slow ascent the suit should auto exhaust. Don't make life more complicated than necessary.

I keep minimum air in my drysuit, I don't think the shoulder valve dumps fast enough in case of an emergency. So using my BC for buoyancy. Like Divinggirl I have camera on two lanyards attached to D-rings on BC so if I have to let go the camera is safe. But should not be a big deal of you have good buoyancy.

As mjh says, I prefer using my BC too, that way I don't have air migrating round my drysuit during the dive and I only add enough into the suit to beat the squeeze

Back
Top Bottom