Have a problem with a buddy? Sue him/her

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pennypue:
Laurel,
I especially liked "Diving is not a race." This could apply in so very many situations. I'm putting that one in my log book.

Yeah, I don't get the gotta get there, gotta see it all, mentality. You see so much more if you go slow.

Also, the race to get in the water, why? I like to take my time to get to talk with my buddy. Make sure we are both there mentally. Unless, I am on a boat, then I like to be first in, so I can be last out. But, I take time on the way to the site and the way back to get to know my buddy.

Thanks, Penny. I am glad that you and hopefully a few others have learned something from this accident. I know I did.

The air-off for BC inflator hose thing amazed me. Surely all agencies basic training involves removing/refitting BC inflator hoses under water ? Its not a difficult task at all.

String:
The air-off for BC inflator hose thing amazed me. Surely all agencies basic training involves removing/refitting BC inflator hoses under water ? Its not a difficult task at all.

It kept popping off due to some sand or other debris in it. They had tried several times before they resorted to turning the air off....

However, this forum is supposed to be to state what a diver can learn from accidents/tragedies, not to place blame or insinuate boneheadedness. It is to LEARN, so one doesn't repeat the mistakes, if any.

Yes, learn to stop ridiculous lawsuits.

archman:
Yes, learn to stop ridiculous lawsuits.

:laughing: agreed....

Diver0001:
When I do that, in addition to getting nice and positive, and telling them that I have their air off and they need to lay back and let me deal with it, I also physically hold on to the 1st stage of the student the whole time the regulator is turned off. I started doing this by instinct but maybe it will help to write it down here.

Diver0001,

Thanks for this advice - I found it very helpful. A good one to remember when there are problems on the surface.

Cheers,

Andrew

OK so learn how to properly attach a BC hose without turning the air off. Again its not rocket science and its something that should have been known anyway.
Learning how to orally inflate a BC may help too.

Most important of all, learn that when diving you are responsible for your own safety and not a sue-buddy. In other words, ban all lawsuits like this.

String:
Most important of all, learn that when diving you are responsible for your own safety and not a sue-buddy. In other words, ban all lawsuits like this.

The buddy isn't doing the sueing. He's dead. The widow is sueing.

Agreed that the lawsuit is frivolous, but anybody can sue anybody at anytime for anything. Thankfully, that doesn't mean they'll win.

You are still missing the point of this forum, however. It is for you to learn what to do. Not to tell others what they should have learned.

Am I feeding a troll? :33:

Back
Top Bottom