Have a 1week(!!) in Singapore - where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apadua

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I've read almost every post I could find on the subject, but considering this is my first time to this region of the world, I feel very ignorant on how to best select my destination. So I come to you once again - where do I go?

I travel alone and arrive in Singapore on Monday, January 24th at 6:30PM and my flight leaves on Tuesday, Feb 1st at 7:55PM. I then head to Australia where I dive the GBR and Eastern Coast.

I have 8 days in Singapore or anywhere else where a short flight can be taken (I'm coming from Brazil through London so interpret "short" with a grain of salt). I had initially considered a week in Bali, but then I realised i could go to so many places... and possibly even take a liveaboard from somewhere.

Liveaboards are not a requirement, but I have no dive buddy with me - so boats are always easier to obtain an insta-buddy. Locations with day-trips are fine.

What do you guys think?

Please please pleeeease help! :)

Andre

Searching for liveaboards I found these here:
Dive Liveaboards Calendar - Departure Dates for Liveaboard Diving Cruises

I don't know them, and these seem to be mostly Thailand-based (which is fine if you tell me that that's wehre I should go).

25-31 Khao Lak - MV Panunee - Myanmar Mergui Archipelago
25-29 Khao Lak - MV Nautica - Thailand Similan Islands
25-29 Khao Lak - MV West Coast Explorer IX- Thailand Similan Islands
26-30 Phuket - MV Scuba Explorer - Thailand Similan Islands
27-31 Khao Lak - MV Dive Race - Thailand Similan Islands
27-31 Khao Lak - MV Jazz - Thailand Similan Islands
27-31 Khao Lak - MV Queen Scuba - Thailand Similan Islands

This time of year and with your timing and preferences, I would definitely suggest a Similans trip. I would say that even if I didn't work on a boat there. There are cheap quick flights from Singapore and plenty of choices that could match you timing and budget Bali could also be a great spot but it's not the best time to go and you would be land-based. It is, however, a magical place to but "stuck on land". An instabuddy is still doable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could go east and head to Sabah. Sipadan, Langkayan or Mantanani are options.

Hi,

First let me mention that we run as diving business in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah - so my advice is meant to help you pick the best spots to dive in Sabah if you fly this way.

We are currently in the 'West Season' in Malaysia. Sabah is known as 'The Land Below the Wind' so it does not get hit by monsoons, however, certain coast lines are better to dive than others due to the prevailing North East trade winds (which make certain offshore dive sites inaccessible or unsuitable for diving).

You're best bet in Sabah in late January is Sipadan / Mabul. January to March can see some unsettled weather and a decrease in visibility but the diving can still be fine - lots of turtles and pelagics!

Lankayan is open for diving but is impacted by the rough seas - as is Mantanani - due to the North East trade winds so diving quality will be impacted.

The only area dived from Kota Kinabalu at this time of year is Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park. We start getting plankton blooms later in January / February but there are normally dive sites you can go to that are less impacted.

Hope this helps! Happy diving.

DG

So I ended up deciding on Malapascua and moalboal for my trip. This will be with fellow scubaboarder gee13.

Thanks to all that responded and thanks to gee for helping me set up the trip!

Cheers,

Andre

Yes indeed look forward to it Andre! In fact your return schedule coinciding with mine to the day and time has been very convenient to say the least. :D

We look forward to a trip report. I hope you have good weather and happy diving.

I dived all over Bali in my time there with BLUE SEASON BALI and it was truely fantastic. THe marinelife you can see there for such a small idillyc island amazing. Such a variety of diving styles along with a variety of critters means you will enjoy Bali from day 1 to day 90 (in my case)!

P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom