Have 3mm shorty. Need more???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently have a 3mm Henderson shorty - pretty new. I am fine in it in the places I go diving 2-3 dives/day for a week. I was thinking of getting a 3mm full suit. I usually dive tropics (Carib) ~ 1 week-long trips a year. I decided to start doubling that and add a 1wk liveaboard - I will try to do it every year. My question is how much more warmth does the full suit give, and would I need it? Given that I will be doing much more diving per day (5 I hope) on the boat, would the full suit be advised for the carib (first trip is Turks in May)?

Thanks,
Jeremy

In tropical waters, I normally dive with a 3mm full suit for temps under 80F, and with a 1/2 mm full suit for temps over 80F. I normally also bring a drysuit hood with me as well, and booties.

I am not a fan of shorties, because they leave much of your skin unprotected.

About the only thing I like having unprotected in tropical waters is my hands.

Also - not to start a brand war - but the one I am considering is the Henderson Thermoprene. My shorty is a Hyperstretch and it fits great - is it worth the (almost 3X) cost of the Hyperstretch for the full suit? It was primarily the low cost of the Thermoprene that drew me into thinking about this in the first place... Unfortunatly it would be a buy-online and try deal for me fit wise... no local shops to buy from. Thanks!

I use my shortie all the time in the tropics. I also use my 3mm full and my 4/3mm full in the tropics. I also have various hoods and core protectors that I can add and subtract.
My point is: if you are planning on travelling that much, you will need several different combinations of protection. A 3mm full is one that you will use frequently, especially if you are diving 4+ times a day and/or at night.

It is a personal preference, but here are some things to consider.

As you get better, your sac goes down, you are more efficient,... you may find you get colder. I think a full 3mm is a good idea.. you can always wear the shorty over it for an added layer. A hood is a great way to preserve your heat as well.

As you dive 4-5 times a day, the exposure protection becomes more critical. Your core temp falls while you dive, speed dependent on water temp, exertion, and exposure protection. The amount of time it takes you to recover depends on a few things, but as the day wears on and you are in the water, it will fall gradually. When I did one dive a day in the Caymans... I wore no exposure protection. At 2 dives a day, a shorty made me feel better. At 3 or 4 dives per day, the 3mm full became a necessity... as I was getting cold on dive 3.

I'm now using a 5mm suit, even in the tropics. I have a hood if I need it, and wear booties. It seems like overkill compared to other people... but I don't move much and I'm able to stay down much longer because I'm comfortable.

The 3mm full is absolutely a good idea. I doubt you will feel "hot" while underwater. You may sweat on the boat, so you'll want to doff the top and drink lots of water during SI's.

As one of the last posters said, it's all individualized....For my Caribbean diving, I recently added a 2 mm chicken hood under my 2 mm shorty with skins underneath(800+ dives)--76 was the coolest water---probably averaging 80 or so........I do anywhere from 15 to 24 dives a week on a trip....for me, a 3 mm full would be just fine......

Thanks all for the feedback. I will be calling ScubaToys in the AM to order a 3mm full suit. I talked to them briefly today about the Thermoprene vs Hyperstech. He said they both are strechy enough for good fit. Said the Thermoprene is made to be a little warmer. I will just take my 3mm shorty to Cozumel in March (2 dives/day) and take the full suit on the Liveaboard. I do have a 3mm Gold Core hood I can add. And I always wear my 3mm booties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom