Haunted Quarry Dive - October 27th, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kc0czi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How about a Haunted Halloween dive at the SCUBA Adventure Dive Park (quarry). There is a rumour that there are a lot of unexplained things happening during the night in the quarry underwater around Halloween. People have talked about pirates, ghosts, goblins, tombstones, snakes, and strange noises. How brave are you? We will have to dive this at night for all the creatures to come out from hiding. Follow the trail of lost divers around the quarry if you dare. We have never lost any equipment, yet.

There are definately some unexplained noises coming from the depths. How brave are you? You will need a dive light, and cold water gear. After the frightful dive, for those that can eat on a churning stomach, there will be a bonfire, with hotdogs, and hamburgers furnished.

Cost for the scary dive and food is: $20.00 per person. Bring what ever you prefer to drink. Camping is free. Tents, campers, or anything you would like.

Deadline for registration is October 23. Call Jeff at 573-634-3483 to get signed up and to obtain directions, if you feel brave.

#1 - is this a night dive only?

#2 - can you post general location information?

The 'haunted dive' is going to be a night-dive. Jeff has recommended that folks plan to arrive at about 6pm. The setup and spooks will arrive a bit earlier <grin>. It is important that you let him know if you plan to attend so that enough food can be planned for.

However for those who may choose to stay overnight, I anticipate there will be several opportunities for morning/daytime dives in any of the three quarries at the site.

The general location is Hiway 54 and 17 Junction in Southern Cole County, Missouri. This is south of Jefferson City near Henley. The quarries are about 4 miles from that highway intersection. From 54/17 you will take 17 South (about 1 mile) to State Route BB (Go East) for approx 3 miles then turn Right (South) onto private drive just before the southerly portion of Swift Road. I suspect the entrance drive will be appropriately marked.

The private drive from BB to the quarries can be rough, so I recommend vehicles with a reasonable amount of ground clearance.

This haunted dive used to happen each year - but had taken a hiatus for awhile. It's back and really is a good, fun time!

Sounds like fun. Wish I could make it but little distance involved there. I'll have to give the idea to my local quarry.

After the frightful dive, for those that can eat on a churning stomach, there will be a bonfire, with hotdogs, and hamburgers furnished.

Now how do you expect the divers to feed the fish if they aren't eating hot dogs prior to the dive? Just kidding!

The original posting didn't mention anything about RVs... but tents and campers. I agree that the private drive can be rough, but we're going out tomorrow to do some brush cutting along the road, and dragging of the road itself to smooth it up.

I don't recommend an RV. A modest pull behind camper would be doable.

If you've only got a large RV or camper - there is room after you enter the drive to set that size of vehicle down (before going down the hill). You would just have to drive down to the quarries.

Thanks kc0czi,

I was only out there for my OW dives a couple years ago and didn't know if there was a back way in or something. I wouldn't recommend pulling any type of trailer down that hill unless some things have changed. I guess an alternative if you wanted to camp is that seeing that it is fairly close to Eldon and Osage Beach there should be camping areas available. You would just need to drop off your camper/RV and drive to the quarry.

S. Nagel

If I camp, and I haven't decided, I will probably take my van and sleep in the back of it. By the way, Columbia Scuba can take your money and reserve spots as well. 573-443-2182

The third quarry which isn't dove much isn't as good a dive as the other two are, depth is about 40 feet and the vis can hit 0. There are real stolen things in there however, it's a dump for people who steal things. Nothing valuable, they take the money and dump the object.

We had a low slung car make it down there a couple weeks ago with absolutely no problems, by low slung I mean it had probably 5 inches of clearance. Compared to my Jeep that's low. My Chevy Lumina APV (Van) also has no problems with clearance there. Just watch the road, there are a couple rocks in the way.

I'm pretty certain a person could get a popup down there if they were careful. You'd want to watch the terrain and maybe have a spotter. Saturday morning the 4x4 club is going to be out there having fun as well.

We got the access road cleared up left/right and overhead today; smoothed out the roughest spots, and got the bonfire stack ready to light. The course is ready as well.

We trailered the skid-steer loader up and down the road today. Popup campers would be no problem.

I hope to see several of you next week. It will be a good time!

Dive Safe!

- Kevin

Back
Top Bottom