Hatteras dive report June 1/2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akyla

Contributor
Reaction score
The diving out of Hatteras this past weekend was truly excellent all around. We had a group of rec divers and went to the British Splendour for the first dive Saturday. I knew it would be good when we pulled up to the site and could see the wreck on the bottom 100 feet down. Not just a shadow, but clearly see it. No current and you could see sand dollars once you jumped into the 76 degree water. Surface was a two to three swell with light wind ruffle all day. Second dive at Abrams had 100+ vis as well with plenty to see including a couple of small bull sharks that cruised past. Sunday the wind was up to 8 to 10 kts in the am so the sea was 2 to 3 most of the day but water conditions still at 100+ vis on all sites to the south. We dived Arrow and then Keshena, both in that blue clear water.

JT on Under Pressure had tech divers that did the EM Clark (240) Saturday in almost the same conditions with slightly less vis and on Sun they dived the Lancing (170) where the bottom water was cooler with about 60 ft vis, which is average for that site.

it has been as good as it gets so get diving...

2013-06-03_11-40-42_701.jpg2013-06-03_11-41-48_349.jpgNot quite a bell but I did pick up this on the Lancing yesterday, sunk 70 years ago & still producing artifacts.

Very cool find! Looks like a ceramic base for an old style vapor proof light. Coming off the Lancing, that might just be what that is.

I just love diving that site, challenging dive and so neat to be able to go so far inside a wreck like that. Glad you guys got such a good day on her. Hope you get many more dives like that this season.

Lucky bastids!!! :D

Very cool find Bobby. Did you guys get pics of the deep wrecks? Did Mike B dive with you all?:cool2: He has gotten some awesome shots in the past years on that dive.

I hope this sea state stays this way a couple more weeks. We're diving with JT mid month.

Yes Mike was with us & have seen only 1 picture of the Clark so far, but had a few Go-Pros on board so I expect to see some video in the near future. And I will be crew on your trip.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2013 at 03:40 PM ----------

Very cool find! Looks like a ceramic base for an old style vapor proof light. Coming off the Lancing, that might just be what that is.

I just love diving that site, challenging dive and so neat to be able to go so far inside a wreck like that. Glad you guys got such a good day on her. Hope you get many more dives like that this season.

Thanks Dave I figured it was some type of light but had no idea where to begin the search, now I do.
Conditions were so good the dive wasn't all that challenging & am looking forward to many more trips to the Lancing it is becoming 1 of JTs favorites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom