Has anyone used epoque housing for canon 1000D?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jeff: I went to penuktukan and meet nyoman, what an awesome site! my client isn't impressed with the deeper parts, but the 18 and up areas is on par with some of his best sites out there with all the alleys and softcorals and boomies. This will definitely be my regular itinerary from now on. Nyoman wants me to promote the site. How about we do a gathering here?
The only problem I see is since the entry point isn't in the middle there is a chance of diver unable to come back to entry point when the current is really gusting. they need at least have some ways of notifying if indeed a diver has drifted too far and was forced to come up further south. During the 2 dives there the current is always going south, and thus I was trying to keep from going too far south incase unable to come back. IS this alwasys the case? (current going south) or does it sometimes go north?
The parking could be a problem if there are too many divers, but he showed me the lot which they have to the right and that is plenty enough.
Only if thers's a macro site around the area, even if have to go by jukung. I think if they have this we could spent 2days if not 3days diving here only.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I use ttl now on the 110a, by adjusting the strobe closer to the subject and I can run f/s on 16, worked out ok. but next time I will try your thing and see how it goes. Last time I use manual (2) it didnt fired. The pre-flash on the camera is off btw.

Little report on SSR on the 5 dives we had here: harlequinn shrimp (many), tiger shrimp (very small), tosuma shrimp (3), bumble bee shrimp(1), red frog fish(1), coleman (with baby!), pikachu(1). Very nice indeed. See my gallery (uploading soon)

Arun: Have no more leaks, even with repeated use. I would definitely recommend a leak detector from Jeff Mullin, it gave me a lot of peace of mind...
Just be aware when you have the rear door opened, make sure the shaft is not protruding in any way. Also always when open the rear door, plastic side latch open first before the top metal latchm andd when closing metal top latch first before the plastic side latch

Happy diving to all!

new product release from epoque.
Anyone knows more about the new dome port?

Attachments

• Epoque dema 2009 release.JPG
    Epoque dema 2009 release.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 34
Hi there David.

I saw this dome advertised in my LDS and it is basically the dome port but made from acrylic instead of glass, and as such cheaper by quite a bit. The shop did not have it yet and I was advised that they would bring it in upon order. Apparently a lot of people who bought the housing bemoaned the fact that the dome port cost more than the housing and Epoque decided to do something about that. I myself had doubts over this system vis a vis the Ikelite one because of the cost of the dome. My LDS advised me not to buy the Ike because of the numerous problems that they have had with it. Happily with this dome, I am closer to buying the 10-22mm and the 15mm fisheye lenses and having my set up pretty much complete.

Anyway, I am leaving next Tuesday for Manado to get my set up wet:D

I am taking the M100 port, the 60mm and the 18-55mm lenses. BTW I got the M100 port because I wanted to have the option of using the 100mm lens later. In testing, the M100 port did not cause any vignetting for the 60mm and the 18-55mm.

I hope the learning curve on the 500D is not too steep. I previously took pretty good photos with my G9 and Ike housing. I hope that this set up is going to be a big improvement.

Hi Arun: Yap, ain't it a good news eh? can't wait for it to come out(and the price too). Take a look at UWP 49, you will see the author Dan Bolt has been able to fit a tokina 10-17 FE on the athena 170 dome, and if the new epoq dome is as advertise as it is it should take the tokina too, since the efs 10-22 is 90mm long while the tokina is 70mm, the question is will it produce vignetting? thats what I am waiting for.

However Epoq does not make zoom gear for the tokina, but Dan told me this could be done using the 60mm focus gear with some easy modification.

Although I was told tokina will not focus as close as efs10-22, anyone out there has experience on this? I find this strange because on paper the tokina focus closer then the efs

For me personally, I would rather have the ability to do wide angle macro rather the the effect of fish eye, I mean I like fish eye effects but would like WA-macro more.

If it turns out tokina can do WA macro and also no vignetting in the new epoq dome, I wil take it
So I will hold off buying the WA lens until I have an answer for this

Heres few suggestions I have for you using this housig;
1. No matter how you want to shoot so bad, the first dive should be housing with tissue inside only. no camera. After the 1st dive and totally dry inside the you can load in the camera. If you are doing your SI on boat I suggest wait till you are on land and properly do it. Don't do it on the boat!
2. Make sure when you open the lid that the hatch pin is not protruding. If it is you have a chance of getting water inside
3. Make sure when you take out or put in the camera the on/off switch is push up
4. When you close the lid it should be the side latch first but make sure the top metal latch is not on the way or else you will damage the edge and flooding will be a very real possibility. When you are opening the lid it should be the other way around; top metal latch 1st and then the side plastic latch
5. After you switch the inner strobe on make sure the switch is pushed back or else when you try to take out the camera you will find it hard to do
6. Try to do your shooting mode and dont switch UW, bacause the mode switch (the long one on top) will only turn when you push it slightly foward, and this has always scared me as it might leak or something, and maybe if you push foward too hard you will break it?

If you dont have it yet I suggest you get a hotshoe arm and a spotter light. I mean I have S&S 110a x2 and they have built in spotter but I find it extremely hard in this set up, and also the juice runs out so fast when you use the built in spotter. Epoq has a flex arm (they called clog arm) and the 1w and 3w led spotter with mount. Spotter is essential even in day time macro (this was never an issue on my previous P & S)

B4 you buy the 100mm macro see if you can fit the new 100mm macro L lens into the M100 port, bacause this one is 123mm while the non L is 119mm. The L lens is IS which you will find very usefull as you cant get as close or as stable as the 60mm. Sure its about 2x the price of a regular 100mm mcro but between the IS and the f/2.8 I still think its worth it.

I find the 60mm ok although for some shots I want a bigger magnification, so now I am considering the magnifier lens from reefnet rather then going for the 100mm lens, because this is an add on outside the port and you can flip it up incase you dont want the added magnification.

I am sure you will love this rig after getting some use to. The best of all I admire its compactness with the ability to do FO. This is something the Ike can never do. I can fit the housing, camera, 2 lenses, M60 port, all my rechargeable batteries (16) and 2 charger, arms and stay and odd accessories, plus a laptop! too, all these into a delsey camera backpack. The only thing I can't fit is the dome port later on...

Happy shooting!

Hi there buddy. Thanks for the very helpful suggestions, which I shall keep in mind. I must say though, you are scaring me with all the talk of leaking:depressed:.

Anyway, way ahead of you....I bought the clog arm and the Fantasea Nano LED light (which has a shut off when you take your shot).

I haven't decided on whether to get the 100mm lens or even which 100mm lens yet. I also have yet to decide on whether to use the Reefnet Magnifier or to use a diopter. I appreciate that the Reefnet Magnifier is a better option, as you say, because it allows you to flip up the magnifier when you do not want to use it. For me though, my next purchase will be the acrylic dome and the 10-22mm wide angle lens. For the Tokina, I am quite sure Eqoque will bring out a zoom ring for that soon enough.

Will post after I come back from Manado. Safe diving always, buddy.

Have a Fun Trip!
and selamat tahun baru!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom