Has anyone tried underwater fishing before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was just curious if anyone has ever tried fishing under water with scuba gear on or while snorkeling? Either by hand-line or maybe with a fishing pole?

I know when I was a kid me and my brother made a little hand-line contraption out of a pill bottle and about 8' of fishing line with a little lure on it. We tried catching some little bream or whatever they were in the springs (yes, highly illegal..it was a state park) while snorkeling. We didn't catch anything much. Actually he caught the only fish on the day. But it was fun to see how the fish reacted to the lures.

Anyone else have any underline fishing stories to share? I would like to know if anyone has tried it...

During Project Aware last year we found a fishing pole with line on it. The Bluegill tried their best to strike on the line but there wasn't much there except for a bit of fluff from an old hook that had long since disappeared.

So, I haven't done it but I have followed a diver who had a pole and string on it and I did see that fish would tend to try and be caught. So I think you could do it if a person wanted to, not sure it's legal however.

Spearfishing would be a better sport and it's legal in many areas.

I used to dive with a guy that had some lures/jig on the bottom of a 70' line attached to a DSMB. He used it to attract jacks, barracuda, and a couple times even octopus while we did stops after dives on the backwall of Molokini. No hooks, but he did get some hits, and a clinging octo held on until almost within reach.

I found a pole under water with a line and spoon still on it. No hook. We were diving shallow near the shore in fresh water. Lots of little fish came out of the rock to strike it. I was fun to watch

I've thought about it a bit. I could not find anything in the Texas code that would restrict it with a valid fishing liscense. And there are some filleting size bream under those otherwise inaccessable mats of cover. But it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.:huh:

Spear fighing count? I don't see why you couldn't fish underwater, except maybe the fish can see that it is you trying to catch them. Most people that fish underwater shoot them with spear guns. You can get a good spear gun for about $150, sometimes you can find them for $75, but those tend to be not as good. My buddy paid $20 for one at a garage sale a couple weeks back. Just don't kill anything you don't intend on eating, that is not good sports.

Too much of a hassle...The other fishermen kept pouring beer down my snorkel. ;o)

Why use a hook and line? Just pull your knive out and cut you arm and waive it around a bit............I'm sure you'll get some big "bites".

Naaaaa I couldn't do that.

Happy Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom