Has anyone tried the Video and Picture setting under videos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The silver allows at 1080 video at 30 FPS with a picture being taken at 5-7mp every 5 or 20 seconds. I am wondering if anyone has used this option. I am sure that most of the pictures would have motion artifact and at 5 mp would not be amazing quality but at the same time it might yield a couple of good usable pictures, and I assume, with very little downside ?

Tried it on land while skiing and it did offer a couple of good pictures, possibly might be nice underwater especially with a good light and or filter?

Craig

We used the setting for the last couple days in Bonaire on a Hero3 Black( with flip3.1 filter and sola2000). It worked alright. It was nice to have a few stills. A couple turned out nice enough but most are fairly blurry as they were taken while swimming or moving the camera around. Where I had the best luck was when I stopped to use the macro lens and thus had to spend sometime getting close enough to focus.

This photo is the best that we got. Parts look out of focus but this was with a macro lens so only what is within 2.5-3.5 inches away is in focus. So far I prefer the 1080 60fps so you can slow things down which isn't possible as you said with simultaneous video and stills.

https://plus.google.com/110150722934353103717/posts/fKmTEKabron

I advise divers to just shoot plain old video and to pull stills out of the video later.
The stills function of the GoPro isn't great as the shutter speed is automatic and tends to be tough to get a really sharp image.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom