Has anyone met one of the diving greats such as Gary Gentile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure how famous he is outside of South Africa but seeing as he held the world record for the deepest dive at one stage I can only imagine that he must be reasonable well known.

I met Nuno Gomes at a local quarry once and he turned out to be a very friendly and approachable bloke. He took some time to give this noob a few tips on trimming out, buoyancy and finning.

What makes them so great
Gentile has done a remarkable number of things (firsts) in his diving career, and has moved diving and historical research, into shipwrecks and diving, forward by quite a few steps.
and based on your meeting what was your impression of them?
Very direct. Remarkably low key. Not a witty conversationalist, but someone who was easy to talk to about diving. He is someone who has expressed in print a number of strong, and at times controversial, opinions. In speaking with him I found him willing to share his opinions, when asked, but not particuarly focused on overwhelming me with them - more of a 'That's my opinion, for what it is worth' approach.

I agree with Colliam7. Gentile is a regular guy who'll talk with a newby without being condescending. (Ask him which direction he was running when he got his "injury" 35+ years ago, in a land far, far away.)

Mike Nelson is a real person; he hosted MST3K.

I met Rodney Fox once, he was diving for meg teeth with some friends of mine here in Beaufort. I recognized him as we went by and stopped - all the divers were up, so they motioned me to come over and say "howdy". I reached across the gunnel to shake his hand and he started hitting on my wife....nice guy, though - my wife loved his Aussie accent...I got the heck away from there...

Fun thread ... but is this a record? Reviving a thread that's been silent for OVER 7 YEARS! I'm amazed ScubaBoard was even around back in 2001.

Ohhh ... and I've met Gary Gentile. I actually found him to be a very funny guy. He has a pretty dry sense of humor, but I enjoyed the presentations he gave at ScubaFest in Ohio in 2007.

I was wandering if anyone had met one of the great living lengend divers such as Gary Gentile?
What makes them so great and based on your meeting what was your impression of them?

Yes, I have met Mr. Gentile. Frankly, I'm surprised he's still alive, but glad he is.

His diving style is out-dated these days but he sure blazed some trails back in his day.

I met and dived with the famous Dr. Bill of Avalon fame.:wink:

Yep..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom