Has anyone had a “free flowing” nose on a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did/does it stop when you experience this?

For me, it seems to go away once I ignore it! It happens occasionally, but only once during a dive.

Not noticed it on deeper dives, >60m/200ft. Have noticed it in shallower dives.

I cannot really ignore it, it is too annoying. But taking care to calm down helps a bit and at some point it is gone (at latest during deco).
I had it three or four times in something like 150 RB dives. Once at 30m with 15/55, another time at 70m with 15/55. Both dives were a bit stressful. Never experienced it in OW. But on stressful dives in OW i usually use a scooter... In mines not (since it is not allowed). So CO2 for sure is not the origin, but maybe a contributing factor. And I can feel the soft palate not working properly.
Reading these posts here it has the same origin like snorting, weak muscles. And at least for me I can say, that I can improve this by loosing weight / work on my fitness.

I am with @Wibble - not noticed on deep dives. Happened once when I was quite shallow, around 25 ft tops. I don't think fitness level or CO2 build up is an issue.

Btw, I played a wind instrument and the article shared here is spot on. I don't recall having the same issue while playing, but I recall hearing about it from the others. Once I was at a concert next to a guy who played a clarinet and his problem was obviously audible...

I've had it happen a few times at varying depths on my JJ. Pretty disconcerting.

This happened to me for a second time on the Chop, I'm a bit of a Newb so its the second time in 15 dives.

In my case I was a bit stressed because I had a faulty O2 cell that was leading to spikes in the other two trying to over compensate until it the faulty one out voted. I knew what was going on and if it ever happens again Ill switch to low set-point and run manually. However I didn't do this and kept burping loop, dilling down, trying to deflate through the OPV and at one stage bailed out, before going back on the loop and ascending to start deco. I was fine but the obvious over breathing the loop and slighty elevated focus on both my controller and HUD encouraged the problem.

As I said to my buddy the bizarre thing on the next dive (after 1 hour surface interval) was I was completely relaxed and had no symptoms.

The more I research this, the more I believe you are correct -- it seems to be a soft palatal air leak (also called Stress Velopharyngeal Insufficiency). This seems to be an issue with some musicians who play wind instruments. I didn't think to take my mask off when it started...I may try that next time it happens.

An interesting article on it I found if anyone is interested.
I'm not a CCR diver, but I am a wind player and have experienced this while playing the saxophone. I've only experienced it when I'm out of playing shape after a long break, and in the process of (over)training to get back into shape. In my experience it is caused by muscular fatigue, and goes away when I regain strength and control over the muscles I need to play. I can definitely see it being influenced by WOB, which would increase with less control of the airflow.

I had it happen when wearing a tight 7mm hood and experiencing jaw fatigue from the hood pulling my jaw back. I cut away the hood a bit until it was more comfortable and it did not happen again after two more dives on CCR with the same hood. Fatigue, WOB, out of practice, could all play a part in this event. I even had it happen on OC using this same hood before trimming it, although not as critical since gas was being lost thru exhalation anyway.

This happened to me for a second time on the Chop, I'm a bit of a Newb so its the second time in 15 dives.

In my case I was a bit stressed because I had a faulty O2 cell that was leading to spikes in the other two trying to over compensate until it the faulty one out voted. I knew what was going on and if it ever happens again Ill switch to low set-point and run manually. However I didn't do this and kept burping loop, dilling down, trying to deflate through the OPV and at one stage bailed out, before going back on the loop and ascending to start deco. I was fine but the obvious over breathing the loop and slighty elevated focus on both my controller and HUD encouraged the problem.

As I said to my buddy the bizarre thing on the next dive (after 1 hour surface interval) was I was completely relaxed and had no symptoms.
Happened to me on the first couple of dives in the Choptima cross-over course, yep, only during ascents. i then tweaked the upper drings (moved up about 2“) and it went away. Hydrostatic artifact due to counterlung position on the CM? This may be worth a test dive, to experiment with the bag positioning.

More recently, snorting recurred during my Mod3 course, but this was due, most likely, to the leaking ADV. Replaced that with MAV, no mas. More workload on a fast descent, but that’s about the only drawback for my kind of diving

Happened to me, too .. Had the water rushing up my nose, was quite scary .. I have XCCR with CO2 sensor which would show an alert if the hypercapnia was the case so I don't really know what happened and there isnt much information about this particular problem...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom