Has anyone done much diving before around Alaska/British Columbia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sham_ba_la

Reaction score
Has anyone done much diving before around Alaska/British Columbia? My family was recently talking about going to visit a cousin in Alaska next year sometime so since I'm taking my classes in October this year I thought I'd ask this question and find out if I need additional training before hand to dive there.

Anyone with suggestions on these areas please let me know, I also saw this website and if anyone has ever used them what have your experiences been?

http://underseadive.com/pages/alaska.html

I do all my diving in BC. But it's southern BC... I dunno if you're interested in the Vancouver area?

You will definitely want to be at least an advanced open water diver (or equivalent) and dry suit certified to dive in the BC/Alaska region.

Hope this helps...

Drysuit diving will certainly make your trip a lot more pleasant, but if you'll be a new diver, make sure you get some underwater time in a drysuit and are really comfortable with drysuit buoyancy before you go... Personally, it took me about a dozen dives in nice calm sites that I knew really well before I was really comfortable with my drysuit, and I'd be leary of trying to learn those skills my first time to BC/Alaska. I had to work to get over the panic of feeling my suit expand as I changed depths--for the first couple drysuit dives, I'd overcompensate and just dump all my air since I was so worried about ballooning to the surface...

I do think it's possible to dive with just a wetsuit up here. You may get colder and that might limit you to 1 or 2 dives a day or make you go through your air faster... For me, the biggest difference was not while I was in the water, but when I'm on the surface--like in a boat, facing a 20 minute ride through wind and sea spray on the way back from a site, soaking wet... That was not pleasant. But shore diving in the summer months, when you can get out of the water and bask in the sun? Wetsuit was not a problem...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom