Has anyone done a triathlon??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm preparing to compete in my first triathlon in a few weeks, and I'm starting to get really nervous. Has anyone here competed in one before? If so, can you give me some advice on things that you hadn't planned for or that you were surprised by??

Thanks!!!

I really got into triathlon in 2004/2005 and did a half iron at the end of 2005. Then I went to Afghanistan in 2006, kinda lost my moto. BeginnerTriathlete.com has some good forums. Main thing is staying steady and relaxed, and stopping your intake of carbs long enough before the end of the bike. If you are doing a sprint, nothing more than gatorade, and make sure 30 minutes before the end of the bike you switch to water. Relax on the swim, really relax. Good luck!

Thanks!! I will check out that forum today...I'm feeling pretty confident about the swim and the bike...it's the run I'm really dreading, it's the weakest portion of the race for me and I'm worried that my enthusiam will get the better of me in the first two legs and I won't have anything left for the run. I'm probably over thinking this and just need to relax. Thankfully, I'm heading to Roatan on Monday for a week, so maybe that will help!! :wink:

2007 is my 4th tri season. Multisport is super fun! Triathlons and Adventure races have become my favorite thing to do. I'll second BT.com as a good resource. I go by the same screen-name there as well. I'm not a big fan of running either, but I've gone from barely able to run a mile in 26+ minutes (including vomiting stops) to completing my first half marathon this past January, so it's all good. Good luck with your upcoming race! We fully expect to see some sort of race report here when you finish your race :)

-Frank

Wich race are you doing? I am doing my first (sprint) race in a few weeks as well.

dashark:
Wich race are you doing? I am doing my first (sprint) race in a few weeks as well.

I'm doing the Memphis in May Race in Tennessee. 1.5k swim, 40k Bike, and 10k run.

@Scuba_Punk, If I make it to the end, I'll post a report!! :D

There are enough hints for a first-timer to fill a book, but here are a few good ones not yet mentioned:

1. Read the race rules or USAT rulebook. There are important rules that govern all sanctioned triathlons, and some are not intuitive. The rules are not that hard, but they are there to ensure that everyone has a safe and fair race.

2. Start each leg slowly, especially the swim. It is much too easy to get caught up in the mass swim start and burn out in the first 200 yards. You have to give your body time to switch blood flow from the swim-to-run (you actually run a short distance to the transition area before riding off, and this is an oft overlooked physiological burden) and bike-to-run.

I like to pull my legs into a pike position to stretch my hamstrings, glutes, and lower back before climbing out of the water to run to the transition area. Once I learned this from Dave Scott, it stopped my post swim leg cramping completely.

I also, like to take my first steps off the bike with quick but short strides, almost like jogging in place. This allows your muscles to help shift the blood.

3. Be aware of others on the bike course. Look over your shoulder before moving left or right, as an elite cyclist from a later wave might pass you at any time REALLY FAST. This is especially important in turns, the most dangerous spot in any bike course. I've seen too many accidents caused by one cyclist taking a line through a turn that took him or her into the path of another cyclist without looking.

A corollary to this is that you should always be mindful that the person you are about to pass might not know you're there. Don't be afraid to call out "on your left."

4. When approaching an aid station on the run, pick an unoccupied volunteer and point to them so that they and other athletes know you want what they have. Loudly say "gatorade" or "two waters" or whatever you want so they can prepare to hand you exactly what you need. If it's warm, get two waters and dump one over your head.

5. Smile at the finish line. It will make for a more impressive race photo. <g>

Good luck!

Cameron

The only thing i can add to all the info youve already received is to practice your transitions.Elastic shoe laces help alot in moving from the bike to the run.Practice coming out of your bike shoes before you reach the transition area. Most will pedal with feet on top of bike shoes before the transition.good luck and dont blow-up on the swim.

Back
Top Bottom