Has anybody replaced a TiZip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Probably not, as they are relatively new . . . but I got to wondering.

When I got my first Fusion, I had terrible problems with the zipper sticking. Among the things I tried was silicone lubricant from McNett. I didn't use it long because it didn't help. But four and a half years later, when the zipper needed replacement, there were major problems with the job, and I've wondered if the use of that silicone lubricant had anything to do with it.

Enter the TiZip, which comes with instructions to use a silicone lubricant. I wonder if they will be replaceable?

Just replaced a regular zipper with a TiZip on my other drysuit. When I had ordered the Santi, I got the TiZip but had a 4th Element with a regular zipper. After trying the TiZip, I replaced it on the 4th element suit.

Claudia

I have heard reports that silicon lubes can get onto the material around the zipper and create problems when replacing the zipper because the silicon keeps the adhesive/sealant from bonding properly to the suit. This is why I remember being told not to use silicon lube on metal zippers.

I have heard reports that silicon lubes can get onto the material around the zipper and create problems when replacing the zipper because the silicon keeps the adhesive/sealant from bonding properly to the suit. This is why I remember being told not to use silicon lube on metal zippers.

I've heard the same thing about silicone. Be careful how it's applied on a drysuit. It will ruin an adhesive surface indefinitely. I don't know that there's actually a solution when this happens. If there is, I'd love to know about it.

Enter the TiZip, which comes with instructions to use a silicone lubricant. I wonder if they will be replaceable?

Great point!

I just got my suit back from DRIS a couple weeks back
They replaced a regular zipper with a Ti-Zip (Bare XCD2 Tech)

From reading the instructions with the Ti-Zip zipper -- If your getting lube all over your suit your doing it wrong :)
It just says to put a couple drops now and then in the docking end of the suit.

Its a little different from the procedure you have waxing up an old style zipper.

I love the change on my suit to the Ti-Zip

From a little more reading -- This is for the Masterseal 10 Ti-Zip
Which also looks like the one divers should be using as it appears to be the strongest and toughest model.

There are some models that are old style coil ones that you might need to lube up the entire thing.
So checking on the Ti-Zip website for exactly what you have might be a good idea :)

TITEX, the home of Tizip waterproof zippers

I am waiting for my DUI drysuit to be delivered, so I've been perusing the manual. DUI puts this in pretty big letters in their manual:
Do not use silicone spray on your zipper.A build up of silicone can make your drysuit difficult to repair.
They mention it several times, regarding lubrication of both the seals and the zipper. Not sure if other manufacturers recommend it or not, but your original idea of the silicon lube being the culprit sounds like it may not be too far off base.

Back
Top Bottom