Has anybody recently dived in the Gilli islands/Lombok area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everybody, I'm planning a trip to Indonesia. I'm a rebreather diver and the Gilli islands have a dive center that supports CCR diving, so I'm trying to find out about the diving in the area. Is there any big stuff? What's the vis like? Is there a lot of dynamite fishing? Anybody been to the Blue Marlin Dive Center? Any comments will be helpful. Thanks-Andy

silent running:
Hello everybody, I'm planning a trip to Indonesia. I'm a rebreather diver and the Gilli islands have a dive center that supports CCR diving, so I'm trying to find out about the diving in the area. Is there any big stuff? What's the vis like? Is there a lot of dynamite fishing? Anybody been to the Blue Marlin Dive Center? Any comments will be helpful. Thanks-Andy

I saw two mantas in Dec 2003. Was told that I was quite lucky. You can expect green and hawksbill turtles as well as some whitetip sharks.

Coral is mostly just rubble except for a few nice bommies and coral patches.
I remembered that the night dive was very good.

Dynamite fishing was not a problem when I was there. Any damage done was from long before.

When I was there, Blue Marlin would play their music really loud every night and disturb the peace on the island. I know that they run tec courses.

We dove there in June 2001. Stayed at the Blue Marlin Dive Center. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but nothing to write home about. If I remember correctly, they had AC. The "resorts" on the main strip of the island are pretty close together, so they don't really have a lot of grounds. There was a nice italian guesthouse about 1 mile away from the main town, and it looked pretty nice from the dive boat. Blue Marlin did play pretty loud music until about 10 PM, but when we were there it was the World Cup season, so everyone was in a festive mood with the Korean team making it pretty far!

The highlight of the resort was our divemaster, Anding (aka "dog"). He was knowledgeable and friendly, and very accommodating to our dive needs and preferences. He made diving a lot of fun for us!

I do remember the coral being completely dead above 18-25 meters at most dive sites, due to both previous dynamite fishing and "el nino," which had struck 1 year before. It will probably take many many years for the coral to come back. We did see many turtles, mostly hawksbill, and quite a few white-tip sharks and cuttlefish. The highlight of the trip was the night dive we did at the Meno wall, we got to see a few sleeping turtles, lobsters and an octopus.

The setting of the Gilis is definitely unique though, don't leave without climbing to the top of the hill on Gili Trawangan for the sunset! You look west and see Gunung Agung in Bali (3142m), and look east and find Gunung Rinjani in Lombok (3726m).

Overall, we spent a good, relaxing, laid-back 3 days there. The coral in Bali is probably in better condition and you may get to see more interesting fish and pelagics, but the conditions can be rougher also.

I would advise you to try and dive in both islands, if you can! You can go from the Gilis to Bali in 2.5 hours on the speedboat.

Enjoy your trip!

J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom