Has anybody noticed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
The past couple of times that I have taken our camera down for a deep dive I have noticed that the housing makes a sound ( almost like a cracking sound and I feel the lid move a bit) as it adapts to the pressure. Is this normal?
Lisa

I get that once in awhile on my PT-010. While it does raise the anxiety level I am sure it is the front and back parts of the housing adjusting to the pressures of depth with the main O-ring sandwiched in between.

Normal for plastic housings and normally not something to worry about. You don't hear the one that gets you! ;-)

Yeah...it's normal with the plastic housing. The first time I noticed it, I saw a weight belt below us on a wall in Roatan. Since I was at the back of the group, I thought maybe one of our group lost it. I went down to retrieve it but it was deeper than I thought. I totally forgot I had my camera with me. At about 140ft my PT-10 popped and creaked...I didn't even look at it, sure it was filled with water. At that depth I left the weightbelt, it wasn't worth it. I was totally surprised to see my housing in perfect shape and my camera dry as a bone. I quit worrying about depth limits on the PT-10.

justleesa:
That's pretty much what I thought, but it's good to be reinsured! Thanks
Lisa
I never noticed any sound on my usual cold water dives, but when I went on tropical dives (no 7mm hood over my ears) my Ikelite housing made all kinds of popping noises. I also have a home-made video housing and when I watch the video after a deep dive, it sounds like a popcorn maker.

swankenstein:
I never noticed any sound on my usual cold water dives, but when I went on tropical dives (no 7mm hood over my ears) my Ikelite housing made all kinds of popping noises. I also have a home-made video housing and when I watch the video after a deep dive, it sounds like a popcorn maker.
Now that's a scary sound!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom