Question Has anybody dived with the RD1 rebreather and if so how was experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ding dong

RD1 instructor here, The RD1 is a very capable unit in the various different configurations that are available. Which mode are you looking at the unit for? as an O2 rig or as a full mixed gas rig so I can better tune my responses for you. And what specifically would you like to know about it?

thanks

Hello Jona,
Thank you for your quick reply. My interest in the RD1 is for O2 operation at the moment.

I was wondering about the breathing resistance in comparison to the Frog or Compact Oxy. I read an interesting paper by Mr. Lombardi in which he said this set could give a 5 hour duration which makes it very interesting.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

While I have dived many units I have not dived the ones listed, but I can tell you this unit has some of the best breathing resistance of the ones that I have dived. Due to the loop configuration of the RD1 there is no sudden change of gas direction unlike a standard axial style rebreather. Water tolerance is incredible.

The unit as configured is labelled as a 5hr CCR based off the divers metabolic rate. what I can tell you is this can be pushed much further depending on workload.

Heres some of the scrubber data. "Over 3 test runs we average 173 minutes to 0.5% co2. This is under CE conditions of 1.6slpm co2 and 38 F temp with heavy breathing. This is also with a cheap fill of 2.3kg, rather than well packed (more like 2.6 kg)."

While I have dived many units I have not dived the ones listed, but I can tell you this unit has some of the best breathing resistance of the ones that I have dived. Due to the loop configuration of the RD1 there is no sudden change of gas direction unlike a standard axial style rebreather. Water tolerance is incredible.

The unit as configured is labelled as a 5hr CCR based off the divers metabolic rate. what I can tell you is this can be pushed much further depending on workload.

Heres some of the scrubber data. "Over 3 test runs we average 173 minutes to 0.5% co2. This is under CE conditions of 1.6slpm co2 and 38 F temp with heavy breathing. This is also with a cheap fill of 2.3kg, rather than well packed (more like 2.6 kg)."
Thank you again. Did you find any difference in operational duration due to using different scrubbers?

The Frog is manufactured by Aqualung (Military Division) and the Compact Oxy was produced in Israel.

Yes there will always be differences between different sorb types and grain sizes. 797 will always perform the longest under CE conditions due to the significant amount of CO2 production requirement but when reduced to a ✨normal✨ breathing rate most sorbs will perform the same.

Personally I like using the DragerSorb as it is a larger hemispherical grain thats about the size of 4-8 mesh. If offers lower breathing resistance than 797 because of the larger grain size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom