Hartenberger Dive Lamps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
All,

I was in my LDS here in Switzerland this past weekend looking for a new dive light...and they began showing me several models from Hartenberger (made in Germany).

These look very well-made and the newer models have very handy indicators on the back that indicate the power level you are using and the burn time remaining in minutes. There is also an ability to vary the light output level. Controls are simple and easily operated even with dry gloves.

2 questions:
- Does anyone have any experience with these and can you offer an overall opinion on quality/durability?

- LED vs. Halogen: per my discussion in the shop (tough for me having a technical discussion like this in German), LED is generally better for poor vis/low ambient light conditions (perfect for the cold, dark lakes around here in Switzerland and for ocean diving when I move back to greater Boston). I was previously using an Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon (HID) and was happy with it until I dropped it while diving a few weeks ago....ugh! I would guess that an LED would be similar to the "blue-white" light of the UK light. The Hartenberger web site also says that LED is more durable....unsure if this is true. Comments about LED vs. Halogen?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

One of our preferred dive ops has a Hartenberger HID light that their DMs use. It's used daily and we've seen it on the boat for the past 3 years, so I'd guess that speaks highly of their quality. The danged thing lights up the world and really brings out color when they shine it on something! We were so impressed that we immediately looked to buy one, but with the price so dear, we wound up buying Nocturnal Lights SLX torches instead (2 cost us less than one Hartenberger).

LED is definitely MUCH more durable than HID bulbs, they also last a lot longer and are cheaper to replace if you need to. We went LED since we travel to dive and wanted a tough torch that could take a lot of abuse.

Thanks for the comments Divemaven. Yeah, they are definitely pricey. My shop has offered to let me demo multiple models.....so I'll have to see for myself if the cost is justified.

-Chris

LEDs are definitely more durable than halogen and a lot more durable than HIDs, espeically the 10w HIDs. We have lights that are similar to Hargenburger's without the bells and whistles, but at a much more affordable price. We're thinking about putting together some Halogen and LED packages so divers who want the best of both worlds can have them both for the same price as some of the other more expensive dive lights out there.

Hartenbergers are quite popular in my diving 'group/club'.

Me and my girlfriend have 2. A Pro 125 with LiMh battery and a Nano Compact with Manganese battery.

My Pro 125 is 50 W Halogen and has a duration of 120 minutes which suffices for 2 dives. It gives an incredible amount of light (too much) so I normaly put it at 50 or 75 % which increases duration even more. Negative point is the weight of the handlamp. Above water 3 kgs, under water 1 kg.
Girlfriend uses a Nano Compact with 20 W Halogen bulb. It gives 100 minutes of light with the Manganese battery pack. This is a very light and compact lamp.

Recharging is done with the Offshore 2 adapter which is very very good (will recognise different battery configurations, voltages, will setup charge cycle, trickle charge, etc).

We've been diving with them for about 18 months know and I'm very very happy with them. Quality of the lamp is very good, it's really robust and made to last. Batteries last a long time before starting to lose power (obviously also depends on adapter and how you take care of them).

There are about 10 people that I know very well who use hartenbergers. Some of them have been using them for 7 to 10 years without any fault (2 had to change battery after about 8 years of use).

They are of course not cheap but since I'm only living about 2 hours drive from Hartenberger (Koln), I could buy them from Hartenberger themselves (they have a shop at factory), at that moment they were giving some discounts on certain models so all in all the price was fair, and very good if you take into account the quality of manufacturing.

my wife and i each have a nano compact. both with halogen as well as the optional led head. the halogen is great when you dive reefs etc. for night dives, caverns and such, the led comes handy (also with a longer run time).

the lights are very well made. absolutely no complaints. well.... the price.... but you get what you pay for.

Hi Michael,

I may have been very general when I said that we have lights that are similar to Hargenburgers'. but I do can say that we make quality lights. Plus, it's not very nice of you to laugh at my comments simply because your lights are made in Germany also. But hey, laugh all you want but we've made a lot of divers extremely satisfied. Let the value conscious customers decide what they want and you can sell your German "brand" to those who have the urge to pay extra for the German quality.

Value = Benefits - Price

We make lights that have exceptional value and because of that we get a lot of referral and return customers. Why don't you compete with Hartenburger for the customers who are willing to pay a premium while we will continue serving the customers. Anyhow, I'm sure if you have the money to buy Hargenburger lights you'll most definitely be very satisfied with it. I just needed to rant because Michael's comment seemed very immature and is not considered good business practice imo.

Hi Tim,

sorry, but i dont want to attac your company or your products.
I forget sometimes the pitfall of a foreign language.
I have only my problems to understand some preferences of American divers.
But maybe it´s a fault to think about this.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom