Hardest question of all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been boating for my whole life so I will make a couple of suggestions

1) there is no such thing as finding a consensus about boats. Everyone has opinions that are true and valid for the way they use their boat but it might not be true for you.

2) You have to define where you are, what you will be doing with this boat.

3) Try lots of boats if you can. Things like cuddy cabins look great at the showroom or even at the dock but get them out on the ocean and you won't spend anytime in them in my opinion. They are great places to keep your stuff but maybe a pilothouse would be a better choice for example.

4) www.thehulltruth.net is the best place to ask questions about boats. You will be blown away by the amount of members and the amount of different boats that they own.

5) In the Northeast I would recommend a 23' - 24' boat with a seaworthy hull. I have owned a few boats and spent my life on small boats. In my opinion there is a huge difference between a 21' boat and a 23' boat but hardly any difference between a 23' and a 28' for example. I could elaborate but I'm talking mostly about the ride quality.

6) Buy the right boat and buy it once. I can't tell you how many freinds I have that have bought something smaller and instantly wished they had something just a little bigger. Each of them has spent far more money than I have upgrading from boat to boat until they found the right one. And by the way, the right way has almost always turned out to be a 23'+ boat.

Just my opinion and not meant to start a ruckus with anyone who finds their zodiak perfectly fit their boating needs.

I own a 19' Carolina Skiff Semi-V series that is absolutely wonderful for diving here in Guam. Like the Whaler, It is comprised of foam in the hull which makes it unsinkable. We benefit here by having some of the calmest waters around. I take mine all along the coast line out to about 1 mile and never worry about things. I have the roll control system in effect which can hold 8 tanks. The most divers I have taken out was 4 with 2 tanks each and all our gear and we still had room for another 2 divers. I think that would have been pushing it but just for effect, it could have been done. All in all, I think all the manufacturers mentioned are great, just depends on you price range and the type of boat you are looking for. Most people here that don't own dive shops that dive, use Zodiacs. I like the idea but not really into have my insides shaken loose :wink:

If I were buying I'd go with an inboard motor, so the whole backend would be accessible. also I'd make sure the boat was ocean tested, even if I were using it for lake and river diving. the extra weight makes them more stable both in choppy waters and entering and exiting the water. my second choice would also be a zodiac, but that's just because they are so cool! but that's just the SEAL wannabe in me talking.

gator4798:
Ok i'll come right out and say it. Im trying to convince dear old dad to get a boat for diving. I want reccomdations. A boat (under 60,000 when bought) that is/can be converted to be a good dive boat for near shore opperations. small cuddy cabins are nice to....I saw this one http://www.bostonwhaler.com/Rec/buildwhaler/step2_1.asp?action=new&boatid=19 and like it. Any suggestions?

gator4798:
Ok i'll come right out and say it. Im trying to convince dear old dad to get a boat for diving. I want reccomdations. A boat (under 60,000 when bought) that is/can be converted to be a good dive boat for near shore opperations. small cuddy cabins are nice to....I saw this one http://www.bostonwhaler.com/Rec/buildwhaler/step2_1.asp?action=new&boatid=19 and like it. Any suggestions?

I don't know what type of situation you are in, but people that are paying for things, generally like to have a say in the purchase....

So who cares what we think, unless you are footing the bill, and asking for advice.

Just my experience...

Ron

I dived off inflatables for years while I was in the military and after - all that stuff you see with guys getting snagged at high speed with a ring is murder on the joints. Oh it is soooooooo much fun, but... My right shoulder is sore all the time from getting yanked out and lifting too much heavy dive gear with one arm. The thing is singing to me right now. When you're young, dumb and full of uh...oops...some priss type will moderate that line - anyway, you think tomorrow will never come, and for a lot of my friends, tomorrow never did come. But it came for me, and my body tells me about it every day, and I can't complain because I'm living for a lot of other people now.
Figure out what you want to buy and what you want to spend. Then just go and buy it. Maybe you'll have done your homework well and done it right the first time. Boats are insane investments, even in a dive business. I made a LOT of money in the dive business and in the end, I gave my boat away to my local family after I left Hawaii. So plan on having lots of fun diving YOUR dives. Get a business license so you can get your boat repair stuff wholesale from West Marine.
Don't get too hung up on a particular boat type - there's pluses and minuses for every type of dive boat, although if Chuck was a Viking, the other Vikes would probably have to bury him in a flaming Whaler.
Big Kidneys - that avatar just kills me. If you;re like that pic, you maybe need to twin up that 19' Carolina with a sister hull - one for you and your dive gear and friends, and the other for those Big Kidneys. They must have some good plate lunches in Guam - maybe too much fruit bat?

Tom, just because it is possible to run by in an inflatable and yank a diver out of the water does not actually mean there is no more gentile way of going about it! It don't get much easier than an inflatible for getting in and out of and I have yet to be yanked out of the water at 40 MPH. My shoulders hurt all the time now too, water sking (slalom and jump) motocross and miles and miles of swimming, open water competition swimming and all that--yep, they hurt right now so trust me, I don't get yanked out of the water--nowadays I do good to slither in and out. You take it easy on those shoulders, ok, they got to last a bit longer.
Flaming Whaler, to funny, yeah it would burn right down to the water line but at least that part would keep afloat!! N

I hope no flaming Whaler -- it would be a waste of a
good whaler. ;-) I'd like my ashes scattered on my
favorite dive site, thank you.

Everything about boats is a tradeoff: size, power,
quality, hull shape, cabin, head, cost. There's no perfect
boat for everyone -- if there were, every boat in the
Monterey breakwater lot would be the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom