Happy Cousteau Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trapezus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
13428403_1126410007379652_487683085446638580_n(1).jpg

Although I worked on a two-hour documentary for Cousteau's TBS series "Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World," I never met him personally (I was on Alcyone with his son JMC). He was certainly one of my inspirations for getting into SCUBA diving and marine biology back in the 60s. Happy birthday, Captain.

Cousteau and Hans Hass were my inspiration to get into diving, probably the consequence for being brought up in the 70's in front of a TV set. But nowadays, quote those names on a dive boat... Only old timers will remember them, alas...

May be this case is in only USA but world divers does not forget them ever ..especially in Europe..

Sorry, but I live in Europe and speak from experience. Anyway some guys did great things and are in my own personal pantheon.

Did anyone see "Shark Week" yesterday on Discovery Channel? They featured a video titled "Nuclear Sharks," which was an expedition to the Marianas Islands by Phillip and Ashlan Cousteau. This is the third generation Cousteau family. That show was very well done, and represents I think the beginning of another Cousteau generation taking to the underwater world, on a crusade against the slaughter of sharks. It is well worth viewing.

Shark Week
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Cousteau,_Jr.

By the way, I got into diving because of Jacques Cousteau's The Silent World, which showed at my local movie theater in about 1957. My Dad took me to see it, and I was enthralled. As a kid, seeing a fully-suited helmet diver outside the theater, and then watching Cousteau's team swim free in the film was magical. I've been hooked ever since. That summer, and the next, I started saving my berry and bean picking money for a scuba unit, and get it in 1959. I've been scuba diving ever since.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Did anyone see "Shark Week" yesterday on Discovery Channel? They featured a video titled "Nuclear Sharks," which was an expedition to the Marianas Islands by Phillip and Ashlan Cousteau. This is the third generation Cousteau family. That show was very well done, and represents I think the beginning of another Cousteau generation taking to the underwater world, on a crusade against the slaughter of sharks. It is well worth viewing.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'm going to get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom