Happy Birthday STARWARS!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Lamont is talking about the other Star Wars.

I always note Star Wars' birthday. It's one day after Bob Dylan's. And my first nephew was born on Star Wars' birthday so it's hard to forget.

Wookie at that picture.. and people wonder where Sasquatch comes from! :D

DiverBry:
team.jpg

Arerrggggnggnggggnggghhgngggahhh!

From an article on msn.com:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/starwars?GT1=7701

On the 30th anniversary of its release, we look back at why George Lucas' space opera changed everything

By Jim Emerson
Special to MSN Movies

Thirty years ago, on May 25, 1977, "Star Wars" changed everything.

<snip>

I dunno what wiki is on about, but it was released in theaters in 1977, I remember it well. I was 16 & working at a buffet restaurant as a busboy when a friend told me "You have to see this. Don't ask, just go see it"

I did & ended up seeing it 3 times that day, LOL. Only paid once though :wink:

had a date for the 1st show but she didn't make it so I went in & saw it. She showed up as I was coming out of it, so I got her a ticket & turned around & walked right back in. When that ended she had to go to work but I didn't. As I was about to leave my best friend walked in with his mom, so I turned around & watched it again with them.

That theater had a great sound system in it too.

It's the first movie I remember seeing in the theater as a child. I was 6 years old. The world did change...my world changed...I was just the right age to soak it in. A wiffle ball ball bat was forever after a lightsabre....my bike was an x-wing fighter. Most people would say I was too influenced by that. You know the really funny thing? The first time I used a reg in my OW class, I was suddenly struck by the fact that I WAS Darth Vader....that mechanical breathing....so, during my OW class when we had to sit on the bottom of the pool and just hang out to get accustomed to being able to breathe under water...I simply meditated on the force...

Only later did I actually get confirmation that was where they came up with Vader's voice....from sticking a mic into a regulator.

Am I the only one that thinks of Darth Vader when scuba diving?

Saw it about the second week it was out- long lines to get in.

A year or so later a buddy of mine told me that we were going to a scifi convention and he was dressing up as a storm trooper and I would be going as Darth Vader (I'm 6'5" and he's 5'8" so it pretty much had to be that way). He even had the mask/helmets for us. So we put together some half-a55 costumes to go with the masks and I rig up a microphone in the mask going to an amplifier in a chest pack with a bunch of flashing lights.

We get to the convention and I quickly found out that about half of the people there thought my costume was great because of the amplifier trick and the other half wanted to yell at me because my costume was not accurate enough. The latter group was easy to spot because whatever scifi character they dressed as the costumes were EXACTLY like the ones in the original show/movie. These folks really truly have no life.

I finally got pissed after a couple hours of that nonsense so I decided to really piss em off- I spent the rest of the evening going around lisping into the mic and playing Darth Gayder. WAY too much fun.

I remember taking my then girlfriend and my little sister to see the first Star Wars in our hometown theater. I wasn't really all that interested, but my little sister was. 30 years ago? I can still remember standing in the line. Oh, and I'm still not that interested in "Star Wars." The movies are entertaining, but no real biggie to me. Where is the Luke Skywalker of the underwater world?

As for Darth Vader and diving, in one of my DVD's I have video of me facing the camera in my Cressi Big Eyes mask and blowing bubbles and refer to myself as the Darth Vader of the underwater world... the most dangerous creature new divers may encounter in SoCal.

tstormwarning:
Hard to believe it's been that long. I was 13 when it came out. Oh, gosh:11: ! I just gave myself away:D . Awesome movie for it's time.

I will give myself away too. I was 7. It is still one of my favorites. I think it was the 2nd movie I was allowed to see in the theater.

Back
Top Bottom