Happy 228th to the U.S.Marine Corps and Fellow Devil Dogs Everywhere!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robinhood once bubbled...
I'm out of the fleet right now doing an advanced education program...man, I miss this kind of sh%#!!

As far as you active and prior squids out there...you know what Marine stands for don't you?

MY A$$ Rides In Navy Equipment!!

Semper Fi

Unfortunately (prior squid here) those of us on fast attack subs didn't get much of a chance to have you ride on that equipment.

Of course, then again, in order for me to jump out of an airplane (as some marines do) the thing would have to be on fire.

Seriously, thank you to those of you in the Corps. You do your country proud every day.

My brother, sister and I had tried to care for our dad in his elder years and encourage him to follow doctors orders after his quintiple bypass, then after he broke his hip, and then after he broke the other one, but then - when 24 hours sitters and family weren't enough, we got to learn about nursing homes. We found a good one on the second move, but I do not want to live that long.

He'd pretty well lost interest in living, but he didn't want us to stop living ourselves until he died, so I booked a quick diving trip to North Carolina Memorial Day Weekend this year. I knew that if things turned badly, and I rushed home with wet hair, I might have to request 02 on the plane, but it went okay. I passed Cherry Point on the way back to the airport, and stopped in at ET's for bumper stickers and such.

Dad was a Seagoing Marine on the Intrepid in WWII , and had been to visit it a few years ago in NYC harbor where it floats as a museum now. My sister had called ahead to let them know that a vet was coming, and they had rolled out the welcome - keys ready to unlock secured areas and all. He'd come back with a commenterative cap from that visit, but I hadn't seen him wear it lately. I was delighted to find him a new one at ET's, brought it back to him at the home, and - it was the last smile we got out of him.

Things turned bad a few days later, and he passed on a Thursday morning. We had his discharge papers ready for the funeral director to call HQ Marine Corps, but then - I'd spoke with the Top at my old reserve unit about the anticipated need a couple of times. We then attended hundreds who traveled over the long weekend to make the funeral, and I remember my brother asking just before services if the Marines were a done deal. I said I felt we could trust them to send a few - to take care of their own.

After the church services, the caravan headed for the gravesite, and as we got in sight range, we could see the 8 man Dress Green Firing Squad at Parade Rest near the family plot, Dress Blues standing by the grave next to mom's. This country cemetary had not seen one of these since the Viet Nam War, many of the guests had never seen one at all, and while I'd fired at a few back then, I'd never been close to the grave for one.

The firing salute was breathtaking, followed by a BAM in Dress Greens playing taps, then the slow and careful folding of the flag, the funeral salutes, the long silence, and the whispered presentation of the flag to my sister, the youngest.

Semper Fi :iwagima:

The Gospel

In the beginning was the word, and the word was God,

In the beginning was God, and all else was darkness and void and without form,

So God created the Heavens and the earth, He created the Sun,

He created the Moon and the Stars, so that light may pierce the darkness, The Earth, God divided between the Land, the Sea, and the Air, and He filled them with many creatures.

The dark slimy creatures that inhabited the murky depths of the oceans God called Sailors, and He dressed them accordingly.

The flighty creatures of the air He called Airmen, and these He clothed in uniforms that were dull and drab.

The lower creatures of the land, God called Soldiers or Squaddies, and with a twinkle in His eye and a sense of humour that only God could have, He gave them trousers too short, jackets too large, and pockets to warm there hands in. To adorn their uniforms He gave them badges and cords and ribbons and patches and stars and emblems and all manner of shiny things that glittered, and devices that dangled, because when you are God, you tend to get carried away at times.

On the seventh day, as you know God rested, and at 0600hrs on the eighth day He looked down upon the Earth and was not happy, He definitely was not happy.

So He thought about His labours, and in His infinite wisdom, He created a divine Creature and called it a Royal Marine. These Royal Marines, who God created in His own image, were to be of the Land and of the Sea and also of the Air, and He gave them many wonderful uniforms.

He gave them practical fighting uniforms so that they could wage war against the forces of Satan and Evil. He gave them smart suits for their daily work and training, so that they would be ready and sharp at all times. And He gave them evening and dresses uniforms, stylish handsome things, so that they might promenade with the ladies on a Saturday night, and impress the hell out of everybody.

At the end of the eighth day, God looked down at the Earth, and saw that it was good, but was God happy? No God was happy at all, and why? Because in the course of all His labours, He had forgotten one thing, God did not have a Royal Marine uniform to wear!

So He pondered and thought it over for a long time before finally satisfying Himself in the knowledge that,

NOT EVERYONE COULD BE A ROYAL MARINE
PER MARE PER TERRAM

dsgobie once bubbled...
You mean we get paid? :)

Yeah $12,000/yr salary on 18hr days never adds up right at the end of the month.

Actually I normally work a good 12 solid hours a day. Or about $4 an hour.
"good enough for government work" Now where did that come from anyways?????

[Flashback]

You signed the contract Marine! Now quit your *****ing and suck it up.

Damn boots.... (hehehe)

dandydon once bubbled...

I've met some really cute young ladies lately who are joining. We've had BAMs for as long as I would know, but this may not be the same corps...? :huh:

One of them was going into finance, the other apply for The Presidents Band. But they gotta' be grunts first, right?

don

Don-

Don't worry , they know how to beat 'em with the ugly stick REAL good down at 4th RTBn, 1st RTR, MCRD Parris Island.

Hi Don,
Well, you've brought tears to my eyes...what a legacy your father left for you. I've always thought it amazing how patriotism seems to be handed down from one generation to the next and if the parents don't "have it" the children won't either, but if they do...a whole new generation of patriots is born and our country's greatest asset continues.
Thank God for men like your father...
Cynthia

Back
Top Bottom