hanging up the splits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sell those splits on Ebay and get some money for them. I sold my Scubapro Twin Jets and almost got retail price for them. :) I totally agree. I have so much more control with my Jets over my Twin Jets. The difference is worlds apart.

Vayu:
Good to hear it Leah. I'm glad the Golem is working for you too.

Tonka, if you are preparing for overhead diving I strongly suggest a set of doubles for your redundancy.

I'm awaiting my 100 cf HP steel doubles as we speak (type?)

:D

I was forced to throw my Atomic Splits in the closet 2weeks ago and buy Jett fins before I started my IANTD tech class , after putting up a fight with my instructor, (Ive been using splits for the past 200 dives or so.)and beleiving the theory that splits are faster when swimming agains a strong current I reluctanly gave in. I also had no choice in the matter since he would not teach me unless I switch. hes one of the best tech instructors here in south florida so I listen to him.After trying the jettfins I couldnt have been happier with them,I adjusted very quickly and frogkicking was more powerfull than my splits , had no problems triming out with my doubles and stage,and felt a stronger acceleration after every kick. so Im going to stick with them and put my splits away for good. he also made me put away my reel and switch to a spool for SMB deployment and get a 7 foot hose for my primary witch I thought was insane..again I was plesently surprise with the ease of a spool and the behind the neck routing routing of the hose.well I quess that my turn to the Dark Side its almost complete.

Congrats on the 100 doubles! It's a big step. I know.

Jet fins are great and I recently got my girlfreind a new pair. There are some other fins like "turtles" and a different lightweight jet clone (the model eludes me) that seem to be good as well. Additionally, there is the "big blue paddle" variety which I know are popular among some divers. Any of them should be good enough for anyone that wants to improve control in the water column.

We were both able to recover underwater and really practiced being more in tune with the each other. Doing the drills over and over actually seemed to make me feel more relaxed as we did them successfully over and over again.

This is what really strikes me about your post.

Yes its gear... but so much more than that. Its mindset, its a comitment to ongoing training.

What make the DIR aproach strong is the holistic aspect but what really sings to me is the team aproach the individual comitment to improvement and the common values that DIR divers have.

Tollie:
This is what really strikes me about your post.

Yes its gear... but so much more than that. Its mindset, its a comitment to ongoing training.

What make the DIR aproach strong is the holistic aspect but what really sings to me is the team aproach the individual comitment to improvement and the common values that DIR divers have.

You know that is one of the reasons I love diving with Jocasseegirl so much. When I have brought up DIR stuff--- and I am by no means DIR at this point--but her response is always--show me how that works and why that makes sense. And when I do she is always game to implement stuff with me. It has taken me a long time with the gear change to make the case.

We had this conversation about what people have told her about a bp/w as I have tried to make the case over the course of the last year. Lots of folks have said it is a tech only rig and that rec divers don't belong in it. Well after trying it she said I don't care if they call me a tech wanna be-- I just want gear that makes sense and works.

I am working through the reading list that you guys provided me earlier in the year. It has been really helpful to me. I still have so much to learn.

Actually if truth be known, I lurk about the DIR forum quite a bit myself. I have found the folks on the board through the DIR forum that have been the most willing to take time to explain the answers to my questions and give me some good resources to continue to learn and grow as a diver.

I really am grateful to the folks in this forum who have been so kind to me. Even when I have made purchases or decisions that they have not agreed with, I have never been cast away. The remarks that have been made were more toward asking me questions and giving me things to look out for, and things to think through. A great example of this is my split fins. It just took me a while to get to the point where I saw the benefit of the jet fins and am ready to part ways with my splits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom