Hands free equalization question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I have a question about hands free equalization, it's to see if I'm doing it right or getting the physical part down. When I do hands free I close the throat and have the back of my tongue pushing the back roof of my mouth and release the tongue and throat and repeat. Is this correct? Can anyone who can do hands free equalization inform me on how the body should operate with it?

I personally have no idea what M-O is. I google translated the Italian article and it does sound like Frenzel. But reading @Angelo Farina's description, it does sound like a form of VTO.
I also am not sure you can keep the vocal fold open when doing Frenzel or VTO, when I lift back of my tongue, mine closes automatically and I suspect this is a reflex for protecting the airways during eating or swallowing. Same goes even for Toynbee, the fold will close momentarily.
@daviesrye my take on humming exercise is that while humming and trying to lift the back of your tongue, you are trying to find the spot where ET is opened. When ET is open, you will hear it because of hum and once you learn the correct spot, there is no need for humming. But again, there is no right or wrong on this, if it helps by no means do it. VTO is not as strong as valsalva or Frenzel, so, you have to do it more frequently, this is expected.
Marcante-Odaglia is "Frenzel for scuba divers", while pure Frenzel is employed mostly by free divers. From outside, the main difference is that a free diver has the mouth closed, while the scuba diver has a reg in it.
For most people there is no practical difference, and in fact most of people (and instructors) think that Marcante-Odaglia and Frenzel are substantially the same.
Outside Italy, the name Marcante-Odaglia is not widely known.
And outside Italy, scuba divers usually do not use Frenzel (or, more properly, Marcante-Odaglia), as PADI-like instructors typically only teach Valsalva (when the whole OW course lasts 3 days, there is no time for exploring many different equalization methods).
Frenzel is taught in (deep) free diving course, and in this case, it is correct to call it Frenzel, as it is performed with no regulator in mouth.
For more details in what happens inside our skull while performing Frenzel and M-O, look at the two last figures I posted. But be aware that these figures represent respectively a "pure Frenzel" (where the soft palate is left "neutral", open) and a "pure Marcante-Odaglia" (where the epiglottis is open, so you can breath while equalizing). Many divers perform both these actions simultaneously, so they raise the soft palate, closing the passage between mouth and nose, and then they also close the epiglottis and push the tongue back, so the two actions are summed, resulting in a much higher pressure and more powerful equalization. And this combined action, including the closure of both soft palate and epiglottis, and exerting pressure both with the tensor palati and tongue, is usually called "Frenzel" by people who are not aware of the difference between these two very similar equalization methods.

BOTH M-O and Frenzel ARE WITH PINCHED NOSTRILS;
Instead BTV (VTO in English translation) does not require to pinch the nose, nor to perform any strange contraption of tongue, soft palate, or epiglottis, swallowing, yawning - NOTHING! If you need to do any of these actions, that is NOT pure BTV...
BTV simply and directly opens the tubes. As said, I use BTV since when I was a child, I can open my tubes whenever I want, and as long as I want, even while breathing or while speaking, and with the tubes open I hear my voce through them, the sound is quite funny...However, even if not speaking or humming, when the tubes are open the sound coming form outside through the nostrils is quite evident, so there is no need of making any sound for understanding when the tubes are open. Juts the air flow through the nose makes a lot of noise when the tubes are open!

@Angelo Farina , I have fixed the link, hope you can see it and you will like it. Its a long one but 5:00 is the point where difference of vto techniques explained (based on mri) as well as Frenzel.
Ok, thanks. Now I can see the video. It is quite interesting, but I have some remarks.
Adam Stern describes three types of Hands-Free Equalization, performing different movement of soft palate, tongue and epiglottis. All three types, which he names A, B and C, are without pinching the nose. But it appears that all three methods are actually based on the concept of increasing air pressure in the nose. Type A is only bending the soft palate, type B is with soft palate open and epiglottis closed, making pressure by retracting the tongue, (as in Frenzel) and type C is with epiglottis open and soft plate closed, creating pressure by raising it (as in Marcante-Odaglia).
In reality, NONE of these three methods is pure BTV. If you move anything inside your skull, that is NOT pure BTV. In pure BTV you just open the tubes: no pressure is generated, no other muscles are employed, no air flow: if you can control the proper muscle which opens the tubes, there is nothing else to do. If you cannot control it, then there are, as said, at least three other hands-free equalization methods, which can be used by everyone with proper training, and which rely on "adjuvant" movements of soft palate, tongue, epiglottis, or a combination of them.
Unfortunately pure BTV is not feasible by everyone, only by people who can voluntarily and specifically control the muscle opening the tube.
And from this video it is clear that the guy, Adam Stern, is NOT one of those who have been gifted by mother nature of having such a control. So he did study these other three methods of hands-free equalisation, and in the video he is teaching one of them. Everyone can learn it, but remember, that is NOT pure BTV.
Only people who can do real BTV can appreciate how better it is than all these other methods...
So, before going to follow these instructions on hands-free equalization methods involving these extra actions, please check if you are the 1 over 5 divers who can use real BTV, simply opening your tubes without doing anything else.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that Hans and Lotte Hass commonly used nose plugs under their mask to help with equalization of their ears.

I have used at times a nose plug (I have found a number of them on the bottom of the Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center pool, which is 16 feet deep for competition diving) and used them for equalization of my ears. It works quite well.

SeaRat

Attachments

• MV5BYzhlMzljZjAtMDM2Ny00MDgwLTk3MzQtNjNlOTQzMjJlZTQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTg1NDEyNzY@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BYzhlMzljZjAtMDM2Ny00MDgwLTk3MzQtNjNlOTQzMjJlZTQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTg1NDEyNzY@._V1_.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 58
It is rare that I have to swallow to equalize. Usually I just equalize "internally". I assume this wouldn't work for everyone---
Yawn (not underwater...). When you hear the "crackling" sound in your ears, you are equalizing. Now find that crackling sound without yawning. You can "hold" in that position and it will "muffle" your hearing. I do this when walking and a big noisy truck passes me.

It is rare that I have to swallow to equalize. Usually I just equalize "internally". I assume this wouldn't work for everyone---
Yawn (not underwater...). When you hear the "crackling" sound in your ears, you are equalizing. Now find that crackling sound without yawning. You can "hold" in that position and it will "muffle" your hearing. I do this when walking and a big noisy truck passes me.
Yeah, that is BTV. The same for me. Unfortunately only 1 student every 5 already knows this method before starting their first diving course. Another one over 5 learns it easily under guidance of the instructor, but this happens only when the instructor also ises BTV.
For the other 3 of 5 students, another technique, requiring more complex actions (which usually involve nose pinching), is required.
I also have seen many instructors insisting that every student has to pinch the nose.
Most of them do not even know about BTV and the other hands-free methods...
Others have heard of it, but they are incabaple of performing BTV, so they prefer to force every student to use Valsalva.

The description you have could be hands-free eq or just Franzel without pitching the nose.

Hans free equalization means you don't use your hands to equalize. So as long as you don't use your hands then it counts. There are many kinds of hands-free equalization by type, we have scuba hands-free or freediving hands-free. By the method, we have constant pressure or sequential hands-free.

I've trying to learn hands-free eq for 2 years and finally, I did it. Currently, I am using sequential hands-free to 20m in freediving with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom