Hands and Arms during Dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinyBubbles

Reaction score
This may be a trivial thing to be asking, but what is the best position for your hands and arms during a normal dive. There are obvious times when they are used for movement, grasping, and all those neat things hands can do.

What I am asking is when you are swiming in along, are your hands in a folded position around your midsection, at your sides, around your chest, or ??? Is there a proper way or is it all a matter of preference :confused:

I just keep them clasped together in front of me. Some divers cross their arms, some tuck their thumbs in their waist strap/cumberbun, etc. Just find a position that is comfortable to you...there's no proper way. just personal preference.

Don't use them for movement...
Hand finning stirs up the bottom and makes you look like a dork too....

Don't go grabbin' things either...
Unless you are using your hands for a specific task...

Lets practice on the floor...

Lay down on the floor on your tummy...
Lower leg bent at the knee straight up...
Feet pointing back...
Arms out in front with elbows pointing out and hands in...
Hands are overlapped lightly clasping thumbs...
Look at your compass on your left wrist...
Look at your computer on your right wrist...
Comfy?? Imagine you are relaxing in this position UW...
You are not moving at all... no finning... no hand waving...
Just neutral and at peace with the rest of the biomass...
waiting your turn to be eaten... errrchhhhkkktttt...
HOLD IT... delete the last line...

What Uncle Pug said, except... I don't actually dive in the Pug-approved position, I just clasp my hands loosely underneath my stomach. I can't get comfortable with my arms in front of me.

Zept

I'm with Zept - as long as you're not flapping whatever is comfortable.

Jonathan

I made the mistake of letting my hand dangle too long after checking my air pressure during my cave training. I hooked up my pressure gauge back to my hip d-ring, and let me hand rest out to the side of me. One good knuckle rapping from my instructor was al it took for me to keep my hands tucked neatly away all the time. :D

Zept and Jonathan. I just fold them under my stomach unless i am check a gage.

I also concure with Uncle Pug about the "Hand finning stirs up the bottom and makes you look like a dork too.... " the wife does that and cracks me up everytime I see it.

Rich :mean:

Gotta go with UP on this one. Hands clasped in front so that you can see your gauges. Besides, you can move them (not finning, but positioning them for balance) forward and backward to maintain a horizontal position in the water.

Besides, its so cool to just hang there.

Hey Pugster...

Are you diving in fish poo??? I like Florida because if you keep your hands clasped and your feet off the bottom... you don't have to worry about swimming through the "Bio-mass"... just through
pristine clear waters.

What you call "rototillers" we call poo-kickers (but we don't use them PC words all the time either...)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom