handle for dive light ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am building a dive light from a metal garden spotlight. The beam is very focused and very bright. I have run it sunk in the bottom of the tub for 1 hour and still had plenty of battery left. (Using a battery from a 550 va UPS)

I have removed the bottom of the stand for the light and now need to make a handle for it. I was thinking of using UHML plastic, but cannot find any thick and cheep.

Looking for suggestions...

BTW the wires come out at the handle so I would have to have be able to machine in a slot for those, then epoxy the wires in place.

Price so far is $0.00! The garden light my wife was throwing out as she wanted a new style. The UPS was a discard from the office. So IF I can make a handle in some useable form, I will have a 15W halogen light on the cheep.

As soon as I figure out the handle thing, I will post a pic.

Post a pic of what you've got and we might be able to help you think up a design. I like the direction you're headed, though!

I will work on getting a picture tonight. I think I may have a working solutions, I have some white oak I will use for 1.0. That and a velcro strap. I mounted the two together with brass screws and Marine putty epoxy. (If it can patch a hull, it should keep the water out... I hope)

not sure what size plastic you are looking for or the shape for that matter but I know where you can get 1" diameter uhmw plastic rod for $1.38 a foot plus shipping (I think)

Rods
  • Softening Temp.: +165° F
  • Tensile Strength: Good
  • Color: Opaque black
  • Temp. Range: -40° to +185° F, unless noted
  • Softening Temp.: +275° F, unless noted
  • Tensile Strength: Poor
  • Impact Strength: Excellent
  • Low friction
  • Not rated as an electrical insulator
  • Use indoors and outdoors
  • Machine with standard tooling
  • Hardness: Shore D69, unless noted
Material has good wear and impact resistance plus a surface that reduces static electricity. Use in applications where dust and static electricity are a concern.

retire2disney:
not sure what size plastic you are looking for or the shape for that matter but I know where you can get 1" diameter uhmw plastic rod for $1.38 a foot plus shipping (I think)

Rods
  • Softening Temp.: +165° F
  • Tensile Strength: Good
  • Color: Opaque black
  • Temp. Range: -40° to +185° F, unless noted
  • Softening Temp.: +275° F, unless noted
  • Tensile Strength: Poor
  • Impact Strength: Excellent
  • Low friction
  • Not rated as an electrical insulator
  • Use indoors and outdoors
  • Machine with standard tooling
  • Hardness: Shore D69, unless noted
Material has good wear and impact resistance plus a surface that reduces static electricity. Use in applications where dust and static electricity are a concern.

The info you posted looks like pieces of specs off a website. Can you post some more of the information? Perhaps supplier info and what the different products being speced.

Thanks

I am sorry I thought I had put the link in there. here it is
it actually has alot good raw materials and stock pieces. And I am not associated with them except for using them at my job http://www.mcmaster.com/
just type in on left side what you are looking for and it will give you a list of its search results to choose from.

I used McMaster for my SS spring straps. They are excellent and based in Charlotte, NC so you get quick shipping!

Same here. They are a very good supplier. The only problem I've ever had was once I sent them a message about a special item I was looking for and could not find in their catalog, they told me to look in their catalog.

If you don't need any assistance they are great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom