Question Hand truck for doubles with side arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to buy a hand truck to help move my doubles and stages between the car and the water, I'm tired of killing myself carrying everything :p. There are a million hand trucks out there, but I'm hoping to specifically find one with "side arms" that can help prevent the tanks from sliding sideways off the truck as it's being pulled over terrain. I was thinking a welders hand truck, or other trucks meant for moving propane tanks, might have that sort of thing but haven't had any luck finding one that looks like it'd work for this purpose.

Does anybody out there have a go to recommendation for this? I don't have any welding skills myself, or I'd have thought to add the side supports to a simple hand truck I could get at any hardware store.

Look at this cart as an option. It can hold HP100/LP85 length tanks and an AL40 or AL80 at the same time. Weight rating is for 300lbs. That bar on the back means you can also push it, which I find easier going uphill. I’ve got bad knees/sciatica so a good cart is a must. The wide wheels are great.
Also useful for other gear besides just tanks.

Attachments

• B6EC8988-5D80-44C4-8AB4-EC0F7539E88A.jpeg
    B6EC8988-5D80-44C4-8AB4-EC0F7539E88A.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 88
A simple $3 epdm strap (rubber bungee truckers use) hooked to both sides of the dolly and around the tanks will keep most doubles from slipping off. A nice option also is to weld a "hook" to the middle of a dolly that catches the doubles at the upper band. Super stable and no strap needed.

I've been using a folding expandable dolly I got at Costco for under $20 and an epdm strap to keep the doubles from sliding off for more than a decade. Takes up almost no space and is lightweight.

I'm looking to buy a hand truck to help move my doubles and stages between the car and the water, I'm tired of killing myself carrying everything :p. There are a million hand trucks out there, but I'm hoping to specifically find one with "side arms" that can help prevent the tanks from sliding sideways off the truck as it's being pulled over terrain. I was thinking a welders hand truck, or other trucks meant for moving propane tanks, might have that sort of thing but haven't had any luck finding one that looks like it'd work for this purpose.

Does anybody out there have a go to recommendation for this? I don't have any welding skills myself, or I'd have thought to add the side supports to a simple hand truck I could get at any hardware store.
I put the gear on the hand truck, then wrap one of these around the top end to keep it in place.

Look at this cart as an option. It can hold HP100/LP85 length tanks and an AL40 or AL80 at the same time. Weight rating is for 300lbs. That bar on the back means you can also push it, which I find easier going uphill. I’ve got bad knees/sciatica so a good cart is a must. The wide wheels are great.
Also useful for other gear besides just tanks.
I had a cart almost exactly like this, and it died the first time I took it out 😭

I was going down the dirt path to Telford. When the cart went over a root in the path on a downslope, the front wheel hit and was bent all to heck. I'm thinking a very sturdy hand-trunk this time so it can put up with a bit of a beating.

I had a cart almost exactly like this, and it died the first time I took it out 😭

I was going down the dirt path to Telford. When the cart went over a root in the path on a downslope, the front wheel hit and was bent all to heck. I'm thinking a very sturdy hand-trunk this time so it can put up with a bit of a beating.

I beat my cart up. Still going good. Did yours have the wide wheels?

Depends on what need to pull the cart over. If it is sand then you will need balloon tires whatever dolly / cart you use. There is a thread discussing this somewhere with some factory and some homemade solutions.

Ours goes directly from the truck thru the parking lot, over the walkway, and down the beach over the sand. I will actually will push it into the water so I don't have to lift them anywhere except back into the truck.

I will be making a video on using the cart this weekend.

A hand ruck is great for moving stuff. The better the hand truck is, the worse it is to actually move the hand truck. I have one that I have owned for over 20 years. Dead simple. But hauling it places sucks. Won't fit many cars. Takes a huge amount of room in trucks and SUVs. Just not viable to travel with.

Got a folding hand truck. Knowing I will be loading it, got a stouter one. Still killed that after a couple uses.

Saw someone using the folding wagon. Got one. Parking lot to boat, perfect tool. Curbs do need a little caution. You can blow out a plastic wheel (seen others do it), just be a little cautious. I would do this again.

If you are looking for trails, beach, off-road use. Don't have any recommendations there.

Off-road they make a collapsible dock cart that is marine grade. Big garden cart type thing that collapses which is nice. Not small but very effective and durable since it has bicycle type wheels

Off-road they make a collapsible dock cart that is marine grade. Big garden cart type thing that collapses which is nice. Not small but very effective and durable since it has bicycle type wheels
I have one of these. The 20-inch pneumatic wheels are fabulous over sand and rocks/gravel.
It is sturdy; I've carried 6 AL80s in it a number of times. It is rated for 330 pounds.
West Marine has them at a high price: TIPKE MANUFACTURING Foldit Marine Utility Cart | West Marine
Other places are cheaper: Tipke 2100 Marine Fold-It Utility Cart
Look for them at marine and garden stores.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom