Hand signal for "Acknowledge"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a hand signal for Acknowledge that does not also try to indicate "I'm okay"? The Okay symbol to me seems like the wrong response to another diver that is in trouble.

Diver 1: Hand signal for Something's Wrong / signal for Up.
Diver 2: Hand signal for "I'm Okay"
Diver 1: ??? It's great that you're okay, but I need help / need to surface to fix problem.

Diver 1: `"Something wrong" "up"
Diver 2: "Ok", "up"
both divers go up.

Where's the problem?

Normal procedure would be, imo:
Diver 1: "hold"
Diver 2: "hold"
Diver 1: "Something wrong" and start to fix it
Diver 1: "up" or "ok" (if not fixable or if fixed)
Diver 2: "up" or "ok" (same)
and ascend or keep going.

The "okay" signal goes both ways, it's a question as well as a reply.

I would be diver 2, I would replicate the signal up and THEN use the signal OK.

But before that I would ask what the problem is. To go up, sometimes is not the best answer :).

Agreed. Repeat the signal then give your response.

Is there a hand signal for Acknowledge that does not also try to indicate "I'm okay"? The Okay symbol to me seems like the wrong response to another diver that is in trouble.

Diver 1: ??? It's great that you're okay, but I need help / need to surface to fix problem.

Remember your OW training. You would repeat back to your buddy what they signaled to you to confirm.

For example.

Diver 1: Signals diver 2; I (points to themself) have something wrong (hand wobble), I want to go up (thumbs up).
Diver 2: Signals to diver 1; you (point at diver 1), have something wrong (hand wobble), and want to go (thumbs up), yes? (Ok/Yes/Confirm sign).
Diver 1: Confirms yes (ok sign) to diver 2. Probably nods head yes as well.

A diver should also look for other body language communication. Big eyes open, fixated on the buddy, excessive breathing, erradict finning and/or sculling and head nodding.

You could also practice talking underwater. I've been working on that a lot, but have only managed to nail very audible cuss words so far. It's a work in progress. :)

so there are two types of signals, and I think this is what is being said above. There are normal signals; look, shark, that way, question, problem, turn around, etc. These do not require a response.

Then there are the command signals; OK, Hold/Stop *clenched fist btw*, and Up *thumbs up*.

Command signals, in your case the "Up" signal, requires the up signal to be returned as the same signal to acknowledge the command. There is no other response to a thumb when in the water. In a cave it means we are leaving, do not pass go, do not collect $200, we are outa' here, as opposed to the turn signal which means let's start meandering back to the front but if we see something cool we can poke around. In open water it obviously means we are going up to the surface, and going now. Same with "Hold/Stop". You don't have the luxury of any other response, if someone says stop, you acknowledge that command with Stop.
OK is a little different. It is still a command signal, which means it requires response, but it can get different responses since you may not be OK. Acceptable responses for me are "OK" or "Problem".

So the signal progression, as mentioned above is as follows.

1: Hold
2: Hold, and maybe "question"
1: problem *open hand rotating side to side*, point out the problem, and potentially ask for help with something if it is fixable *gear problem they can't reach or something like that*, if not like ear pain or something like that, then just go up.
1: Up
2: Up
when at surface, then ask questions, though on the ascent or on safety stop, 2 should ask 1 if he's OK, which then requires either *OK* to be given back, or the *problem* signal and point to the problem again

Ditto what others have said... that's how I teach it.

Repeat the signal (to show they understood the communication),

followed by:

"OK" (they will comply) or
"PROBLEM" (if they can't comply) or
"QUESTION" (if they don't understand the signal and need clarification).

Back
Top Bottom