Hammerhead in Anilao!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone!

We were in the water at around 2:40pm or so, and it all happened within the first 5 minutes of our dive. I was at 15m, my buddy who took the video was at about 12-13m. We were both still deeper than the shark. Egad... I'm still not over it! It was 5m long!

Btw, someone who saw the video said he'd seen an oceanic thresher over at Mainit point at around 40ft as well. Let's hope it's really only just a cleaning thing, and not some odd thing happening in the waters that's making these sharks head towards the shallows.

man, koala is like my favorite afternoon dive site.
many fish and only few divers go there.
hopefully it doesnt get overcrowded with divers too much though.

Wuhooo! Go sharkies! Sorry I wasn't able to take a better video. I was too dumbstruck by the sight of it to move fast enough!
Les I cant seem to post it on YouTube. Did you post a copy of it on there too?

Did you ask the boatmen if they saw anything? but then of course if they did they probably would have pulled the anchor and figured you guys we're coming back for your stuff... hehehe :)

@Kathy - I started pointing it out the moment I saw it, then when I realized how big it was I just froze mid-water. Hahaha! When I couldn't see it anymore, I started screaming "that was a friggin' huuuuuuuuuuuuuge shark!!!" underwater, then my friends turned to me and gave me the hammerhead signal. EGAD!

@Ben - The boatmen didn't see anything, but we did notice a lot of jumping fishies at the surface before and after that dive. Nooninunoo-nooninunoo... :p

@Jag - I sure hope he has buddies! :p My pleasure posting that. Haha... I can only imagine how much crazier Anilao will be over the Holy Week now that this is out! :p

@Kathy - I started pointing it out the moment I saw it, then when I realized how big it was I just froze mid-water. Hahaha! When I couldn't see it anymore, I started screaming "that was a friggin' huuuuuuuuuuuuuge shark!!!" underwater, then my friends turned to me and gave me the hammerhead signal. EGAD!

@Ben - The boatmen didn't see anything, but we did notice a lot of jumping fishies at the surface before and after that dive. Nooninunoo-nooninunoo... :p

@Jag - I sure hope he has buddies! :p My pleasure posting that. Haha... I can only imagine how much crazier Anilao will be over the Holy Week now that this is out! :p
look at the bright side! wala nang tao sa secret bay!!!! hahahahahaha

:rofl3:

Jag

Wow! Nice video, there definately seems to be a few more large sharks visiting Anilao these days, we've manged to see a big thresher shark twice (about 3m) in the past few months around Lipgo island (probably the same one?) but certainly not a hammerhead!

Lets just hope the authorities don't let another whale shark incident happen to another large visitor to Anilao!!!

I'll be trying to do a few more dives along the Koala to Arthur's stretch in the next few weeks :) Thanks for sharing the video and info!

Karl

Yup, it was also in Koala that we saw a whaleshark sometime ago. Sadly, I have a feeling that it was the same one that was murdered.

The Koala to Arthur's stretch is also among my and my buddies' favorites, especially the far end of Koala in the vicinity of Mayumi resort. There's lots of fish and undamaged coral, probably because most Koala dives dont get that far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom