Hammerhead in Anilao!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wershwie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share the fact that we actually saw a HAMMERHEAD in KOALA yesterday afternoon! WUHOO!!!

Egad... I thought it was just a crazy, GIANT black tip until my friends started to make the hammerhead signal. My dive buddy got to record a quick video of it, but since viz wasn't so good I edited it into b&w to bring out more of its silhouette. You can view the video HERE.

We're still trying to figure out whether it was a great hammerhead or a scallop hammerhead. It was definitely around 5m long, which would be too big for a scallop, but we couldn't really check its dorsal's shape to classify it as a great hammerhead. If it were a really big scallop, it's probably their "security shark", scoping out the area first. Wouldn't it be nice to think there's a school there, somewhere, waiting for news? Hehehe ;P

wow! that's great!

can't believe how marine life's changed in anilao since i got certified in 2005.

wow! that's great!

can't believe how marine life's changed in anilao since i got certified in 2005.

Agree! Even the corals are in bloom.

So that may mean there could be prey in the area worth their while. Hmmm. Awesome and scary!!! hehehe

We dived Koala twice in March (or was it Feb?) and I did noticed schools of parrot fish and surgeons congregating in the area. Is that delicious enough? I would think they'd rather like to eat bigger game.

Regards,
Gi

Wow! Nice video, there definately seems to be a few more large sharks visiting Anilao these days, we've manged to see a big thresher shark twice (about 3m) in the past few months around Lipgo island (probably the same one?) but certainly not a hammerhead!

Lets just hope the authorities don't let another whale shark incident happen to another large visitor to Anilao!!!

I'll be trying to do a few more dives along the Koala to Arthur's stretch in the next few weeks :) Thanks for sharing the video and info!

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom