Hammerhead Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably just sandwiched between the tank and back plate.

cool_hardware52:
Tim,

Our wings, both the 30 lbs for singles and the 50 lbs for doubles are in fact "horeshoe" designs. There is an apparent "preference" for donut wings amoung some DIR trained divers, but to the best of my knowledge, horseshoe designs are not contrary to DIR guidelines. If they were it would be hard to find a wing for doubles, as all doubles wings I'm aware of are horseshoe type.

Donut designs place some constraints on the design, and on the manufacture of the wing that aren't found on horeshoe designs. Each design has it's merits, and I'd be happy, as a designer and manufacturer of wings to discuss these further if anybody's interested.

I will have to admit that the SS waist belt buckles we current have aren't all I'd like them to be. They work fine, but are are a lighter gauge than I really like. I might just have to tool up and make some.......

Regards,

Tobin

Thanks for the info - and for being so good at replying to folks inquiries. Yes the focus of the thread about the wings, was singles only - "preference" sounds like the idea of that thread also. Didn't mean to imply anything more than that, only trying to shed some light on the thread in question http://www.scubaboard.com/t68160-.html (I think this was it - not in the DIR forum, but it was directed at DIR divers.

Aloha, Tim

cool_hardware52:
Tim,

Our wings do feature an elbow, not a pull dump on the hose, short inflation hoses (~13-14 inch), heavy outer shells and thick inner bladders. About the only thing that I know is contrary to the DIR guidelines is the plastic pull knob on the rear dump. This is easily removed.

Our wings, both the 30 lbs for singles and the 50 lbs for doubles are in fact "horeshoe" designs. There is an apparent "preference" for donut wings amoung some DIR trained divers, but to the best of my knowledge, horseshoe designs are not contrary to DIR guidelines. If they were it would be hard to find a wing for doubles, as all doubles wings I'm aware of are horseshoe type.

Donut designs place some constraints on the design, and on the manufacture of the wing that aren't found on horeshoe designs. Each design has it's merits, and I'd be happy, as a designer and manufacturer of wings to discuss these further if anybody's interested.

I will have to admit that the SS waist belt buckles we current have aren't all I'd like them to be. They work fine, but are are a lighter gauge than I really like. I might just have to tool up and make some.......

Regards,

Tobin
Since you offered, I am very interested in obtaining information regarding the design constraints imposed by donut designs. I prefer the ergonomics of donuts (although I also appreciate dual lower dump horseshoe wings on my doubles), and I have naive beliefs about their design superiority (mere speculation). I would be very excited to have factual information regarding the design tradeoffs between donuts and wings.

I have a friend who uses the HammerHead and other who uses the DSS. I think they are both great plates and just address different markets.

The HammerHead is very well made and yet cost effective. The heavy duty STA, available as a combo, weighs as much as the plate and can double as a boat anchor (definitely won't need V-weights). The combination is also considerably less than the DSS plate alone. Although I questioned the hand-holds at first, it does make the rig easier to throw up on the tailgate by grabbing the plate and tank neck at the same time. It is just sturdier than grabbing the webbing.

The DDS plate, although pricey, is superbly made and incorporates well thought-out design features found in no other backplate. It has permanent plastic (or rubberized) inserts in the webbing slots that eliminate chaffing and the need for a tri-glide to hold the webbing in place. It also has a great "V" angle making it very comfortable on the back.

If money were no object, the DSS plate is top notch. If you can't justify the cost vs. other options, you won't be sorry with the HammerHead. It is probably the best value for the money out there. Especially if you go with the STA combo.

As for the horseshoe vs. doughnut discussion, the DSS wing is very streamlined. Although I have not personally dove it, my friend whom has the DSS plate, said that he has never had a trapped air issue and cannot tell it from his other doughnut shaped wings (he has many). The DSS wing is also ingenious in that it incorporates a block that eliminates the need for a STA and moves the tank closer to the diver's CG. This does, however, require that your plate have tank strap slots. To my disappointment, my DiveRite plate does not. I am contemplating having a machine shop machine the slots just so I can use the DSS wing.

Since I'm on the equipment review roll, I'll through out that I just purchased the DSS mount for my SK7 compass. This eliminates the awkward wrist strap of the Suunto SK7 and allows you to use a quick donning 3/16th bungee mount. I love it! They also have similar mounts for hockey puck style bottom timers but nothing that fits my present Atmos 2. :-(

cbfin:
I have a friend who uses the HammerHead and other who uses the DSS. I think they are both great plates and just address different markets.

The HammerHead is very well made and yet cost effective. The heavy duty STA, available as a combo, weighs as much as the plate and can double as a boat anchor (definitely won't need V-weights). The combination is also considerably less than the DSS plate alone. Although I questioned the hand-holds at first, it does make the rig easier to throw up on the tailgate by grabbing the plate and tank neck at the same time. It is just sturdier than grabbing the webbing.

The DDS plate, although pricey, is superbly made and incorporates well thought-out design features found in no other backplate. It has permanent plastic (or rubberized) inserts in the webbing slots that eliminate chaffing and the need for a tri-glide to hold the webbing in place. It also has a great "V" angle making it very comfortable on the back.

If money were no object, the DSS plate is top notch. If you can't justify the cost vs. other options, you won't be sorry with the HammerHead. It is probably the best value for the money out there. Especially if you go with the STA combo.

As for the horseshoe vs. doughnut discussion, the DSS wing is very streamlined. Although I have not personally dove it, my friend whom has the DSS plate, said that he has never had a trapped air issue and cannot tell it from his other doughnut shaped wings (he has many). The DSS wing is also ingenious in that it incorporates a block that eliminates the need for a STA and moves the tank closer to the diver's CG. This does, however, require that your plate have tank strap slots. To my disappointment, my DiveRite plate does not. I am contemplating having a machine shop machine the slots just so I can use the DSS wing.

Since I'm on the equipment review roll, I'll through out that I just purchased the DSS mount for my SK7 compass. This eliminates the awkward wrist strap of the Suunto SK7 and allows you to use a quick donning 3/16th bungee mount. I love it! They also have similar mounts for hockey puck style bottom timers but nothing that fits my present Atmos 2. :-(
Hey Chris ... welcome to the Dark Side ... :D

Your friend is very happy with his DSS gear, and just ordered some more ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Hey Chris ... welcome to the Dark Side ... :D

Your friend is very happy with his DSS gear, and just ordered some more ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob. I actually had to retype my post, eliminating names, as I thought it inappropriate to make gear recommendation on my friend’s behalf. Especially in consideration of his professional dive career employment status. I figured my friend would chime in if he deemed it appropriate.

In maintaining the Star Wars analogy, I prefer not to look at it as Dark Side or Light. Rather more of the Episode III realization that what you have been taught and followed for so long, may not be the best course for your survival in this crazy aquatic universe. I think the term Rebel is more befitting. Either way...my class starts Thursday and I'm pretty stoked. (That's stoked not stroked.)

-Chris

What happened on their website? Where is the bartender gone? They don't offer any special price, $99?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom