Hammerhead Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hermosadive:
Why Headhunter would question your posting this in DIR baffles me. DIR divers use backplates. Next time he says that he likes/use xyz products I hope he adds a non-affiliated disclaimer to his post.
hermosadive,

There was no history to look back on for mobstability since he is new to the board and at the time he had not filled out his profile, so I was simply curious and asked some questions.

The post simply read as a post about gear, but didn't seem to be directed at DIR use.

Let me explain that a little further to keep from baffling anyone by using an example. Deep Sea Supply has a backplate that many people seem to like, but it is apparently not DIR. So posting about how much someone loved that backplate would not have been appropriate in the DIR forum.

Since we now know that mobstability is DIR, the entire discussion can be taken in that light.

Just a couple of questions not intended to ruffle anyone's feathers, but only to see where he was coming from.

I hope that helps demystify my actions for you.

Christian

headhunter:
Let me explain that a little further to keep from baffling anyone by using an example. Deep Sea Supply has a backplate that many people seem to like, but it is apparently not DIR.

Christian

Christian,

That's certainly news to me. What is "not DIR" about DSS backplates? If the backplates I make aren't "DIR" what constitutes a "DIR" backplate?

Is this your opinion, or have others made this claim?

Regards,

Tobin

Thats definitely a interesting statement. The only thing i can figure is that he is referring to your plastic BP and even then i have no idea what the DIR stance is on that. As far as your other BP's i see no other reason why they cant be DIR other than lacking the big H engraved(yes i am kidding, so relax) on them but then again i am not DIR so what do I know, but who knows maybe someday :D

cool_hardware52:
Christian,

That's certainly news to me. What is "not DIR" about DSS backplates? If the backplates I make aren't "DIR" what constitutes a "DIR" backplate?

Is this your opinion, or have others made this claim?

Regards,

Tobin
Tobin,

If I am wrong about this, I apologize.

I thought I read this in a thread either here or at The DecoStop. Since I am not GUE trained in DIR, I'm simply making reference to something I thought I read and this is not my opinion.

I don't have time to search for this info right now, but will do so at the first available opportunity and will post it here. If someone knows where to find the threads I am talking about that make these claims, please post them.

If these threads don't exist and I'm mistakenly recalling something that does not exist, I sincerely offer a public apology. It is not my intention to state something that is not true.

Christian

I seem to remember a post (possibly the one hh is refering to) but it was the harness that was not DIR (though DSS has a hogarthian harness available which would put that argument to rest) there was another thread that discussed the singles wing because it was not doughnut shaped, but the horseshoe style. Finally I have heard (there's that word again . . .) a lot very high praise directed at their BP's on Scubaboard - makes sense as they appear to be a very high quality product.

I was looking at the hog harness and based on the pictures it looks quite nice too - even comes with a "DIR" compliant line cutting tool (knife - lol) and the buckle looks like the heavier variety (hard to tell from the photo). Is there any way you can confirm this Tobin? (I'm not a big fan of the thin steel type of buckles that Dive Rite and others carry)

Anyway - if someone can think of anything else please post it, these are just the comments I remember reading. . .

Tim

kidspot:
I seem to remember a post (possibly the one hh is refering to) but it was the harness that was not DIR (though DSS has a hogarthian harness available which would put that argument to rest) there was another thread that discussed the singles wing because it was not doughnut shaped, but the horseshoe style. Finally I have heard (there's that word again . . .) a lot very high praise directed at their BP's on Scubaboard - makes sense as they appear to be a very high quality product.

I was looking at the hog harness and based on the pictures it looks quite nice too - even comes with a "DIR" compliant line cutting tool (knife - lol) and the buckle looks like the heavier variety (hard to tell from the photo). Is there any way you can confirm this Tobin? (I'm not a big fan of the thin steel type of buckles that Dive Rite and others carry)

Anyway - if someone can think of anything else please post it, these are just the comments I remember reading. . .

Tim

Tim,

Our wings do feature an elbow, not a pull dump on the hose, short inflation hoses (~13-14 inch), heavy outer shells and thick inner bladders. About the only thing that I know is contrary to the DIR guidelines is the plastic pull knob on the rear dump. This is easily removed.

Our wings, both the 30 lbs for singles and the 50 lbs for doubles are in fact "horeshoe" designs. There is an apparent "preference" for donut wings amoung some DIR trained divers, but to the best of my knowledge, horseshoe designs are not contrary to DIR guidelines. If they were it would be hard to find a wing for doubles, as all doubles wings I'm aware of are horseshoe type.

Donut designs place some constraints on the design, and on the manufacture of the wing that aren't found on horeshoe designs. Each design has it's merits, and I'd be happy, as a designer and manufacturer of wings to discuss these further if anybody's interested.

I will have to admit that the SS waist belt buckles we current have aren't all I'd like them to be. They work fine, but are are a lighter gauge than I really like. I might just have to tool up and make some.......

Regards,

Tobin

headhunter:
Tobin,

If I am wrong about this, I apologize.

Christian, No need to apologize, but I do appreciate it. I was just curious as to the source of such opinions.

You are more than welcome to come by my manufacturing facility, we are nearly neighbors, just give me a call.

Tobin

I just ordered one, Hammerhead that is, I am not DIR but I used much of you fellows various discussions to heavily influence me on what is and isn't expected of a good backplate.
If I gather correctly, a DIR compliant BP would have 3 D rings fixed with keepers, the buckle would be on the right, a D ring on each shoulder and one on the hip, the harness would be a simple continuous web and the BP would be adaptable to single or double tanks. It may be of aluminum or stainless. So, just so as I don't confuse myself is there something more to a BP being DIR or not-DIR?

On the Hammerhead, the handles are optional, the plate looked nicely built with some clever features like the upturned lower edges etc so I ordered one. I have decided I cannot be DIR, Mike Nelson of SeaHunt was my Hero, not that Bill or Hogart fellow--lol. But I do want to thank all of you for all the interesting links as I have in fact taken them to heart and considered many of the DIR methods. Looking forward to learning why one BP is DIR and another isn't. N

cool_hardware52:
Christian, No need to apologize, but I do appreciate it. I was just curious as to the source of such opinions.

You are more than welcome to come by my manufacturing facility, we are nearly neighbors, just give me a call.

Tobin
Tobin,

I believe that kidspot was correct and that I mixed up some threads in my mind. I was unable to find what I was looking for, so I'm sure I made a mistake.

Also, I ran into Roland (hermosadive) at Marineland when diving this morning and he showed me the backplate he got from you. Very innovative indeed and I can't see any reason that it would not be DIR.

I will have to drop by your facility one of these days. It's just down the street from my house.

Sorry to everyone about this little thread hijack. We will now return to our previously scheduled DIR discussion on the Hammerhead Backplate already in progress.

Christian

I was looking at the DSS website, specifically at the single-tank wings. It looks like there aren't any bolt holes in them. How are they held to the backplate?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom