Hamilton Island/Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drandyl

New
Reaction score
We will be on a cruise next spring with a stop at Hamilton Island from 7 AM to 5 PM and then a stop at Cairns from 8 AM to 6 PM. Is there any way to do a dive, at either location, within that time frame? Any advice regarding a dive operator? Thanks

I've been to Hamilton and recalled there is a dive shop there. I think this would be it:
http://www.underwater.com.au/listing.php/id/83 There isn't much else to do on Hamilton but sit by the pool or pool bar.. so why not dive? heh :) I don't know that there is any diving right there, but other islands, such as Hook or Hayman have sites not far away that could be done on a day trip. I dove Blue Pearl Bay by Hayman off a sailing trip. It wasn't bad. The outer reef was much better, but I don't know if you can do it in a day? (I did a liveaboard)
Of course in Cairns you will have lots of options for day trips, so I am sure you will lots of responses there. I went with Deep Sea Divers Den and SeaQuest and it was a good trip (and not crowded, although maybe I was just lucky!)

NP in Cairns. Debbie's right. Heaps of dive operators. You won't get to see the best of the GBR (that needs you to go up to the northern or southern outer reefs) but you will be able to dive on some of the more *ahem* popular sites.

I went to Hamilton Island in March this year just after OW certification. Dived with H2OSportz who are the only dive operator based on the island, from memory. See http://www.h2osportz.com.au/

We had some pretty cruddy weather unfortunately and they weren't running day trips to the outer reef. Usually they do though and go to some magnificant sites.

Will definitely return.

I've also snorkelled from Port Douglas - to go to the outer reef you need to go from Port Douglas, some of the operators up there run trips to the outer reef. Best bet though would be a liveaboard, you get to go to places like the Cod Hole. I've heard its awesome.

aussiescubagal:
One more thing, watch out for the operators who run to pontoon sites - the marine life is all moving away from the pontoons. Will say no more.

Correct.

However, you don't need to go to PD to get to the outer reef though (it's only an hours drive away from Cairns and you'll definately pay more up there due to the lack of competition)(maybe I'm just biased being a local Cairns boy :wink: ). You'll have far more choices of outer reef trips from Cairns but this isn't going to be applicable to you though for the eight hours you'll have available. Enjoy those pontoons! They suck, but it could be worse...

Back
Top Bottom