Haliewa trench 07-12-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Great dive today. Roll221, Hawkeye_67 and I headed out to the trench today. Two of us were tyring our our new cameras out(one just stopped working and my old one flooded). The conditions looked great and the park looked liked like a ghost town. Turtles abound at the cleaning station, we dropped down to 97fsw to work our way up from the deep end of the trench and an hour later we surfaced. It even ended on a high note when we ran into 3 nice sized cuddlefish at the end of the dive (almost at shore in about 4 feet of water).

Attachments

• 628643652603_0_BG.jpg
    628643652603_0_BG.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 969573652603_0_BG.jpg
    969573652603_0_BG.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 65
I know, I should probably change my name to "crab, cephalopod, harlequin shrimp, nudi lover"...

From what I understand, cuttlefish are not found in Hawaii. I think your picture is probably bigfin squid, a species that hangs out in shallow water.

Thanks for the dive report :D

Here I was thinking cuttlefish were starting to show up since I moved away...

That's a big one! the ones I have seen are a lot smaller.

thanks for posting

I don't know if its just a coincidence or not, but I've started to see them pretty regularly the last two or three years - and never before that.

Any sightings from neighbor island divers?

We saw a handful of tiny ones (bite size? :no) - at pupukea firestation last summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom