?Halcyon36 w/o metal weave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe R.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I dive a pioneer 36(halcyon) with ss backplate...my question for 'you' is.
Does it matter if the tank straps are woven through the backplate? I dove today and it worked fine with the straps just going through the wing. This saves me having to refigure the buckle weave when you pull it through the plate. The ss/wing nut obviously still passes through top tank/grommet and tank strap. The bottom ss/wingnut just goes through the wing???:confused: :idea: :ears: No guessing please!

my concern with this would be that when you stand up, on land, with the tank on your back, the load of the tank is on the bc, not on the backplate. So you have the weight of your tank, which can be considerable, hanging from the bladder by the tank straps, and then the bladder is hanging from the backplate by the nuts and bolts. Better have big washers or an STA at least!

In water, this ought to be strong enough, but on land, it doesn't sound good to me. Maybe you have it rigged differently, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

why do you have to re-rig the straps so often?

Good point CCDeep. I sometimes use a 125 Lp thats about 45lbs. (It would'nt be so with a basic alum. 80.)And while the top bolt goes thru the strap and the plate it is still not like having the tank strap thru the plate. I did notice the tank ballast seemed tipsy,but attributed it to a 5lb. tank weight.? I thought of this after the post. I'll be changing the wings (alternating) to 55's when I use doubles. The best thing would be to just rig another plate,which will probably happen one day. I'm sure someone has done this on the forum,if not I'l have to keep testing. (just saves time on a rolling boat if I don't have to ):boom: :confused: reweave the belts.

Still learning this computer stuff. Tried to delete this post but it would not 'delete'. So I'l end it this way. I will get a single tank adapter which takes care of the problem. The tank belt must go thru the plate in order to be stable. I dove with it 4/19 and it works much better fixed to the plate. :mean: :bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom