Halcyon vs DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish,
open spot on Sat, I'll believe Vblue when I see the BP/W on his back..................
with Vic and Tim's boat down, the natives are quick to the punch.................Jimbo

I bet Tobin's inflators work......

Doesn't yours? Just a little clean and lube every now and then, and it's fun to play with your gear when you can't be wearin' it.....

grrr... Maybe next week then Jimbo

okay.. i've had my DSS rig for nine months now.. [torus26]
as said above.. the DSS is simple, designed very well, and has a nize low profile in the water.

however, last month, i caved and decided to try a halcyon rig [eclipse30] to see what all the hoopla was about.. suffice it to say, the halcyon was disappointing from day one.
'don't like the hole in the center of the halcyon harness which adds a quarter-inch in thickness before you even have to add the steel 2.5lb halcyon single-tank-adapter [STA].. which of course requires the bolts and wingnuts too.. also, the halcyon STA makes your tank sit 2 inches away from your back.. add to that the heavy steel halcyon tank-buckles which can dig into your tanks.. [they do provide a couple extra halcyon tank-pads which loosely attach to the tank-straps, but that's just another thing to line-up just right, else the halcyon buckles will gouge your tank]
as for the halcyon wing.. i found it overly bulky [like a very lumpy awkward pillow].. the halcyon inner tube did not/could not lay smoothly inside the halcyon outer shell.. [it was like the halcyon shells were mismatched in size and not aligned properly before the dump-valve and inflator hose were seated]

Bob3:
Quote:... Backplates include overmolded corner grommets to reduce harness wear...

This feature alone will save enough $$ over the years to pay for the rig. :wink:
lol.. while you may not save all that much money on not having to replace the harness.. it still can save you time and effort..
i know folks on island who've had their halcyon harness rip behind the shoulder.. in fact i've only had my halcyon a couple months and it too is already showing wear and tear on the harness behind the shoulder.. the reason.. the shoulder harness slots in the halcyon back-plate are only cut level with the plate which doesn't allow the harness to flow naturally to your shoulders.

on the other hand, the superior design of the shoulder harness slots on the DSS plate are canted toward the outside so the harness can flow wide up and over.. and the DSS slots have the rubber inserts which help extend the life of the harness too.. moreover, the placement of the DSS harness-slots doesn't require a hole in the center of the hog harness.

for me, the simplicity of the DSS stems a lot from not needing a STA. the DSS only requires the tank-straps slid directly through the backplate.. then the straps are fit through the large windows in the low-profile wing.. therefore, the tank basically rests right against your back streamlining your diving even more.. done.

i discovered the true genius of the DSS backplate when i started diving doubles.. the multiple holes to mount the tank-bolts and the oversized-oval-shaped lower bolt holes which allow for doubles tank-bands which weren't aligned exactly 11 inches on-center [borrowed tanks :wink:] while i realize the multiple holes allow for the DSS derlin-thumbwheels-and-retainer.. they also allow you to adjust the DSS backplate up and down to fine-tune your forward and aft trim without having to move your tank-bands or add trim-weights.. plus, when you replace the wingnuts with the DSS thumbwheels-and-retainer.. you'll never have to chase wingnuts around the deck :eyebrow:

props to DSS and tobin.. thanks for great ergonomic products!
http://www.deepseasupply.com/index.html

VBlueV:
okay.. i've had my DSS rig for nine months now.. [torus26]
as said above.. the DSS is simple, designed very well, and has a nize low profile in the water.

however, last month, i caved and decided to try a halcyon rig [eclipse30] to see what all the hoopla was about.. suffice it to say, the halcyon was disappointing from day one.
'don't like the hole in the center of the halcyon harness which adds a quarter-inch in thickness before you even have to add the steel 2.5lb halcyon single-tank-adapter [STA].. which of course requires the bolts and wingnuts too.. add to that the heavy steel halcyon tank-buckles which can dig into your tanks.. [they do provide a couple extra halcyon tank-pads which loosely attach to the tank-straps, but that's just another thing to line-up just right, else the halcyon buckles will gouge your tank]
as for the halcyon wing.. i found it overly bulky [like a very lumpy awkward pillow].. the halcyon inner tube did not/could not lay smoothly inside the halcyon outer shell.. [it was like the halcyon shells were mismatched in size and not aligned properly before the dump-valve and inflator hose were seated]

lol.. while you may not save all that much money on not having to replace the harness.. it still can save you time and effort..
i know folks on island who've had their halcyon harness rip behind the shoulder.. in fact i've only had my halcyon for a couple months and it too is already showing wear and tear on the harness behind the shoulder.. the reason.. the shoulder harness slots in the halcyon back-plate are only cut level with the plate which doesn't allow the harness to flow naturally to your shoulders.

on the other hand, the superior design of the shoulder harness slots on the DSS plate are canted toward the outside so the harness can flow wide up and over.. and the DSS slots have the rubber inserts which help extend the life of the harness too.. moreover, the placement of the DSS harness-slots doesn't require a hole in the center of the hog harness.

for me, the simplicity of the DSS stems a lot from not needing a STA. the DSS only requires the tank-straps slid directly through the backplate.. then the straps are fit through the large windows in the low-profile wing.. done.

i discovered the true genius of the DSS backplate when i started diving doubles.. the multiple holes to mount the tank-bolts and the oversized lower bolt holes which allow for doubles tank-bands which weren't aligned exactly 11 inches on-center [borrowed tanks :wink:] while i realize the multiple holes allow for the DSS derlin-thumbwheels-and-retainer.. they also allow you to adjust the DSS backplate up and down to fine-tune your forward and aft trim without having to move your tank-bands or add trim-weights.. plus, when you replace the wingnuts with the DSS thumbwheels-and-retainer.. you'll never have to chase wingnuts around the deck :eyebrow:

props to DSS and tobin.. thanks for great ergonomic products!

Geez....about the only thing that you failed to mention, was that you think the DSS also looks prettier when it gets back from the Dry Cleaners.......:D

I don't how Tobin's wings dive, but his blackplates are very nice. That being said, the Eclipse and Evolve are the two best wings that I have ever dove.

mrjimboalaska:
Geez....about the only thing that you didn't mention, was you think the DSS looks prettier when it gets back from the Dry Cleaners.......:D
actually, the finish on the halcyon back-plate is more refined and shiney..
in fact, i've seen some batches appear chromed to a mirror finish :popcorn:
(time to get the brasso out :D )

also, all the blue "H's" on the halcyon harness do look way cool :14:
they complement the giant oval halcyon patch atop the wing :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom