Halcyon vs DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon, Blue, Halcyon....................
I actually like the looks of Fishboy's rig, but, Halcyon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also that
way you are more familiar with what I'm wearing, i.e. you know you have to cut it
off if you are salvaging my gear......:D

mrjimboalaska:
Halcyon, Blue, Halcyon....................
I actually like the looks of Fishboy's rig, but, Halcyon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also that
way you are more familiar with what I'm wearing, i.e. you know you have to cut it
off if you are salvaging my gear......:D

Just curious, exactly how does a DSS Hogarthian rigged Backplate differ from any other Hogarthian rigged backplate from the perspective of cutting out a rescue victim?

Webbing is webbing and a knife is a knife.

Tobin

I have quite a bit of experience with both.

I've dived both. I dive Halcyon as my primary single rig, because I had it long before DSS came around. All of my doubles dives have been in DSS gear. Most of my buddies are now diving DSS.

I will soon be selling all my Halcyon to get into a DSS weighted plate and single wing rig. Its simply designed better. No STA, no wing nuts, comes apart faster, easier to clean, Wing design better (center hose... so as a photographer I can run the corrugated hose on the right), plate geometry is superior, plate features (like the inserts) are genius, plate finish is superior, etc.

DSS stuff is just BP/W 2.0 - its better conceived and better executed.

Plus, Tobin is engaged in the dive community (how many posts do the people from Halcyon have here? or in TDS) and DSS is in SoCal. So with my DUI DS, Atomic Regs and DSS rig, I'll be a SoCal diver diving SoCal gear. I love that.

If I was starting again, I would run, not walk to DSS gear. I will soon be diving it exclusively.

---
Ken

PS: count the moments - Tobin will post to this thread within the hour...

edit to above: HAH!!!!!!!! 13 minutes... sorry to under estimate your response time, Big T!

Tobin,
It doesn't dude, lighten up, I dive with blue, and with fishboy, and have often mentioned to both that I like fishboys DSS.....chill, I'm sure that this months sales
quota will be met........

lol jimbo..

ch.. i think jimbo's comments were tongue-in-cheek.. hence the "big smile"

but while we have you here.. since you just said a "BP rig is a BP rig"..
can you help me choose one brand over another?

btw.. i am leaning toward DSS att.. when can you ship it here =)

VBlueV:
lol jimbo..

ch.. i think jimbo's comments were tongue-in-cheek.. hence the "big smile"

but while we have you here.. since you just said a "BP rig is a BP rig"..
can you help me choose one brand over another?

One Hog rigged plate is pretty much like the next......... if all you care about is cutting somebody out.

Halcyon makes fine gear and you would be well served with it, or a number of other quality choices available today.

Having said that some of the things that differentiate our gear:

Low profile plates, moves the tank closer to the diver and is more comfortable for many. 5 sizes to choose from.

No STA required, few parts, less cost, and again moves the tank closer to the diver

Very narrow single wings, easy venting of either our Horseshoe (LCD) or Donut (Torus) wings. Center panels feature large windows for easy assembly and removal without relacing cambands.

Elastomeric Wedge blocks provide preload on the cambands, and reduce closing force required.

Backplates include overmolded corner grommets to reduce harness wear.

Bolt on weight plates provide more ballast is you need it, and place that addtional ballast close to the diver. Easily removed if desired.

VBlueV:
when can you ship it here =)

Tomorrow soon enough?

Tobin

Welcome back from the sandbox JJ... I think the most important question you should ask yourself is... who do you want to be more like, Jimbo or me?

Try one of Tobin's new Torus Wings... I really like my Torus Doubles wing.

fishb0y:
... I think the most important question you should ask yourself is... who do you want to be more like, Jimbo or me?

hmmm.. jimbo's got a 30' boat.. and you have a cool doubles rig.. decisions, decisions =)

i'm going with the torus26 [donut]
('wanted the torus35, but tobin said it'd make me fly)

'you diving or babysittin' this weekend?

Not sure yet... Maybe Jimbo will save me a spot on his boat for Sunday...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom