Halcyon V-weight and length of threaded rod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a Santi Light 40 and, combined with my steel doubles, drysuit, etc., I need about 10 lbs. I'm considering purchasing a Halcyon 11lb. v-weight. However, I need to cut about a half-inch or so from the threaded rod of the bands, since they extend past the plane of my tanks. Having never used a v-weight, I'm wondering: Will I need the extra length of the threaded rod when I attach the v-weight? Thanks.

I just bought a Santi Light 40 and, combined with my steel doubles, drysuit, etc., I need about 10 lbs. I'm considering purchasing a Halcyon 11lb. v-weight. However, I need to cut about a half-inch or so from the threaded rod of the bands, since they extend past the plane of my tanks. Having never used a v-weight, I'm wondering: Will I need the extra length of the threaded rod when I attach the v-weight? Thanks.

This depends on your tank bands. Some like the Halcyon bands will fit your V-weight perfectly. Others, like the OMS bands, will cause your v-weight to stick up and when you attach your plate, your back plate will be raised from the tank. This causes an annoying wobble in your backplate as the only point of contact between your plate and tanks is the v-weight. On several occasions we had to actually cut pieces of the v-weight away in order to get the back plate to fit more snuggly to the tanks. Long story short, do not cut the threaded rods until you have the v-weight in place as you may need the extra length if your v-weight does not fit snuggly between the tanks.

Best of luck.

This depends on your tank bands. Some like the Halcyon bands will fit your V-weight perfectly. Others, like the OMS bands, will cause your v-weight to stick up and when you attach your plate, your back plate will be raised from the tank. This causes an annoying wobble in your backplate as the only point of contact between your plate and tanks is the v-weight. On several occasions we had to actually cut pieces of the v-weight away in order to get the back plate to fit more snuggly to the tanks. Long story short, do not cut the threaded rods until you have the v-weight in place as you may need the extra length if your v-weight does not fit snuggly between the tanks.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info. Bismark. Hope the H v-weight works (wobble-free) with my Highland bands.

As an alternative you can place soft weight pouches between the wing and the back plate. The wing will keep the weights from passing between the tanks and the upper and lower band bolts will keep them from falling out the top or bottom.

Depending on the diameter of the cylinders and the bend depth of the center channel in you plate you can fit ~4-10 lbs this way.

Smaller bottles like LP85's (7 inch dia) and al 80's (7.25 inch diameter) leave room for quite a bit of ballast.

If you already own the soft weights this method is cheap, easy, and adjustable.

Tobin

As an alternative you can place soft weight pouches between the wing and the back plate. The wing will keep the weights from passing between the tanks and the upper and lower band bolts will keep them from falling out the top or bottom.

Depending on the diameter of the cylinders and the bend depth of the center channel in you plate you can fit ~4-10 lbs this way.

Smaller bottles like LP85's (7 inch dia) and al 80's (7.25 inch diameter) leave room for quite a bit of ballast.

If you already own the soft weights this method is cheap, easy, and adjustable.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin. I'm going to give that a try before I order the v-weight. I have a DSS plate for my singles rig, but I use a Salvo plate for my doubles. So, to make sure I'm clear, I just stuff soft weights in the channel and between the wing and the plate?

Thanks Tobin. I'm going to give that a try before I order the v-weight. I have a DSS plate for my singles rig, but I use a Salvo plate for my doubles. So, to make sure I'm clear, I just stuff soft weights in the channel and between the wing and the plate?

Yup, it's just that easy.

Lay the tanks down, bolts up.

Lay the wing over the bolts

Place the soft weights on the wing, in the "valley" between the cylinders

Install the plate. You might have to "wiggle" the plate a little.

The amount of ballast you can add this way is a function of the cylinder dia, and the geometry of the plate.

We also make a pouch that holds about 5 lbs that can be hung from the lower bolt if you need weight low for trim.

Good luck,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom