Halcyon Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got to see the BC at BTS and it certainly looks interesting. I am sure you gents and ladies have done a fair amount of testing and was wondering if there is any difference in the way it feels and dives compared with say the eclipse system. Also I personally do not use the pads with the Aluminum plate as I find that there is really no need to as it is comfortable with or without the pads - wll this hold true for the new setup or are there protrusions that require the use of pads?

What are the bouyancy characteristics of the new system? With a 30lb wing, a Aluminum plate, STA and no pads I use 2lbs of weight with a full 3mm wet suit. How is that likely to change with the new system?

Finally as regards dumpable weight - is it possible to reach back and release weight with relative ease with the new system or is the weight stuck on the backplate essentially non dumpable?

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:
It rides a little differently than the other current Single tank systems from Halcyon, only because the weights and tank are right up against your back. Not dramatically different mind you, just a pleasant, of note, 'oh, that feels nice'. There is no instability or wobbling of the cylinder on the backplate, as they have designed it for use as a single tank bc system without the needed addition of an adaptor.

The weights on the back should be considered non-ditch-able, but the system is designed so that you can very readily add the ACB10 to the assembly.

Have not tried it without the pads, as it will currently be sold as a 'kit'.

I will have to get back to you regarding the buoyancy characteristics, but i believe it is slightly negative. You will probably end up adding a couple lbs to make up the difference of the AL backplate and STA, but I am not 100% sure on that. I have only dove with it in cold water (I dive a drysuit) where i used all the weight carriers on the back and put two trim weight pouches on my cam straps.

I will ask Ken as to its exact numbers :)

Laura, Thanks. I am looking forward to trying it out at The Scuba Connection when they get it and perhaps taking it to Bonaire with me next month

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom