Halcyon Scout Back-Up C Battery Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharlo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I bought a Halcyon Scout BackUp light and my problem is that the C Battery enter only to the 1/3 of the torch. The metal wire is blocking the passage. If I remove the wire the battery slides freely but there is no space to put the wire next to it. If I use brute force, the battery reaches the end but then it's so tight that the spring doesn't work and more problematic is that the battery is deformed and with the wire both ends are connected making a short circuit ... the battery starts to worm up.

I'm planning a dive tomorrow, I would like to test it in the field, and I'm very grateful for any suggestion or ideas. I would prefer that I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers,

Ivan

Seat the small hook end of the wire into one of the small holes on the rim. If the spring/wire is still loose, take pliers and squeeze the hook very little so when you seat the wire into the hole it grabs the edge securely. This way when you loosen the head the light shuts off properly. Otherwise the wire will ride up causing you to loosen the head too much and flood the light .

Have fun diving.

I can't really understand the problem but there's a groove on the rim that the metal end hook can sit into. If that is not your problem then it might be that the metal piece is bent. You can easily solve that i guess. Can you take a picture and upload it? This will make troubleshooting a bit easier.

Hi,

Thx for your fast reply, my english is pretty bad, sorry for false information.

The problem is that the diameter of the torch is too narrow and that my C battery can't slide till the end.

There are (according to my analysis) three possibility:

a) the diameter of my C battery is too wide (they fit perfectly into the tube once the wire is removed, and with the wire present, the battery enters only 1/3 of the tube)
b) my torch has a defect, the diameter is too narrow (I think I used it with no problems 3 years ago but since not any more so I'm not 100% sure about this). I don't believe in this option cause I never read anywhere on the forum or web a similar problem
c) I'm an idiot and I'm doing something wrong (very possible it won't be the first time).

Thx again for you response I appreciate a lot and hopefully you can guide me further,

Ivan

P.S. Dive was very nice

Hi John,

Thanks for your interest.

Yes I managed to resolve my problem. Indeed the torch's diameter was too narrow so I took a file and removed few millimetres in the interior of the torch. It works perfectly and didn't experienced any flooding problems (tested in the field).

Now I'm a bit disappointed that a brand such a Halcyon doesn't have a better product tests in order to detect these defects ... but then it happens to the best of us.

I wish you very nice dives.

Cheers,

Ivan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom