Halcyon Life raft storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just purchased the Halcyon life raft via the internet and am now wondering how to store it as its a heck of alot bigger than it looks on the Halcyon website http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dlr.shtml. Though the Halcyon site reports "The DLR can be integrated into the MC system, hidden neatly behind the diver's back in the MC Storage Pak, or folded into an optional external pouch," I just don't see how as I was hoping to place it in the storage pak pocket on my bp but it appears way too big.

If I had one, I'd either store it in my garage or in the lazarette of my boat. I sure hope you didn't pay much for it.

wow, I did not know those exsisted. Thanks for the photo. So, It doesn't fit behind the back plate? There really would be no other option...

Tom Winters:
If I had one, I'd either store it in my garage or in the lazarette of my boat. I sure hope you didn't pay much for it.

Sorry you feel that way but perhaps my interest and intent are different than yours. Though we've yet to have a problem, I do dive with my 3 young sons so I like the concept of this. However right now I'm not too happy about the size as it is much larger than it appears to be in the manufacturers presentation and description.

Halcyon Diver's Life Raft, folded into its optional pouch (available separately), butt mounted to the bottom edge of the BP with shock cord (there's no freakin' way to stuff all that cleanly into the MC Pouch!) and clipped-off to the rear D-ring of the crotch strap. A must have and invaluable for remote dive sites where the current is ripping. . .
See also: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1562624&postcount=7

Kevrumbo:
Halcyon Diver's Life Raft, folded into its optional pouch (available separately), butt mounted to the bottom edge of the BP with shock cord (there's no freakin' way to stuff all that cleanly into the MC Pouch!) and clipped-off to the rear D-ring of the crotch strap. A must have and invaluable for remote dive sites where the current is ripping. . .

Thanx Kevrumbo for the advice. I too don't understand how Halcyon can state that it will fit into the MC pouch! So it sounds like I need to also purchase the optional pouch though the picture on their site makes that too look much smaller than it must be. Was this an easy fit into the pouch?

I don't know that you HAVE to purchase the optional pouch. You can roll the thing up and bungee it to the bottom of your plate, and ensure you attach the boltsnap to your butt D-ring - as previously stated.

(I went over to WalMart. They had an assortment of different sizes of black bungee cords in a plastic container. You'll find some that fit - cut to size and tie it...)

If you want to purchase the optional pack, fine...but you'll wind up bungeeing THAT to the bottom of your plate anyway. Up to you...

A friend of mine who enjoys going on liveaboards uses one to float off the stern of the boat whenever it starts getting a bit 'small' toward the end of the trip. He fastens the boltsnap to one of the stern lines and just drifts.

They're simply tools in the toolbox. For certain types of dives, in certain dive environments, they could conceivably mean the difference between being found and not being found. Situations like this one:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=75035&highlight=Fiji+Dan+Danielle

Best,

Doc

I used to store mine inside the OMS BP Pad, a pad similar to the MC Pack, just fold it and stuff it inside it, you may try diferent folds until you find one that fits, if you try to stuff it rolled, it may not fit.

After a few dives noticing it in the Back Pad, I ended up rolling it up and bungied it to the bottom of my BP, now I notice that I got it when I'm changing tanks, never when diving. In that location, it's easier to deploy in case of an emergency, don't forget to clip it to the butt ring either way you store it.

I don't carry it in every dive, but when diving offshore from a boat I carry it, never had to use it or deploy it, but in case the Sh.t hits the fan I'll be prepared fer sure.

I'm glad to hear that you are concerned of your siblings, some people think that an accident will never happen to them and when it does, they wish they had this or that gear to deal with the situation:14:

Gypsy guy - if you're worried about at-sea rescue, there are a lot better things to lug around than the Halcyon version of the Titanic.
The Rescue Streamer is spottable from rescue aircraft when nothing else works in daylight hours.
http://www.rescuestreamer.com/
You'll have to call them for details.

Thank you for the useful inputs Kevinrumbo, Doc Intrepid and Mandy3206. It sounds like you all prefer the bungied mounts. My only question with regards to this technique is whether you might think that it is better to use the pouch or not. The reason that I ask this is that though the rubber appears to be heavy duty, it still appears that it would be easy to get pin hole punctures into it if it is exposed without cover so my thoughts are that perhaps the pouch might offer some protection?

I also agree with your assessments in that this is not something to carry on every dive but there are certainly dives where I see it as an additional "tool" or form of insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom