Halcyon Explorer vs. Evolve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
I dove the Evolve 40 in DIRF class. With my feet straight, and my jetfins on, I was butt light in my twin 80s. Even the instructor handed me a small weight to stick under my wing. He brought steels for me the next day, but I just went back to my DR Classic instead.

By the way, I was in a 5mm shorty so this was not a case of floaty feet.

I've only worn my drysuit with my oxycheq wing and at 1000psi I'm usually at my 20 or 10 foot stop so I usually have a little bit of air in my boot before I dump my suit. The air in my drysuit contributes to some of my rear being floaty.

PerroneFord:
The Evolve is NOT a friend to AL80s. It is nice with steel doubles.

Not sure why this would be. I pretty much only dive with double AL80s, and my evolve works great. In normal diving the air accumulates in the sides of the wings, with very little on the bottom. With my luxfer 80s I don't need any tail weight, with my catalina 80's I use a tail weight because the cats are more head heavy than the luxfers, so I need to move some weight down. Although I could do that a number of ways, I like the tailweight option. I don't have any steels yet, so I can't speak to that, but I have no problem with the Evolve and AL80s.

wunat:
Why would one prefer one over the other?

The only real reason I got the Evolve over the Explorer, is that the Evolve is shaped very much like the Eclipse that I was used too. I figured it would be an easier transition to doubles for me. I didn't have the chance to try any doubles wings before purchasing, and I still have never tried the Explorer, so I don't know if it made things easier for me or not, but I have no complaints.

I prefer the Explorer. A little more streamlined and I've never had a problem dumping gas, I guess I'm just used to it. A pal of mine uses the Evolve with a CCR and believes that in that application it is superior.

Either way once you get rid of those pesky SS inflators you will have a great wing.

RTH

Can't say I've ever had a problem with my SS inflator...but we won't bring up that issue again. :D

wunat:
Why would one prefer one over the other?

I'll bring an Evolve 40 and an Explorer 40 to our next pool session so you can try 'em.

Vie:
I'll bring an Evolve 40 and an Explorer 40 to our next pool session so you can try 'em.

Thanks Vie!!! :D That will certainly answers my question.

Looking forward to it.

Ciao,

RobbieTheHun:
I prefer the Explorer. A little more streamlined.....................

Some said that the Evolve is more streamlined???? :confused:

I'd say the evolve is easily more streamlined.

My bad, I was comparing it the evolve 60, That was the wing I tried.

RTH

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom