Halcyon Evolve or Explorer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have advice on which to choose? I'll be diving double 117s or 133s and I'll probably go with the 40# option. I considered the 55# but I've heard that using the larger wing with smaller tanks will make it difficult to dump air. So, the big choice for me is doughnut or horseshoe. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions.

Does anyone have advice on which to choose? I'll be diving double 117s or 133s and I'll probably go with the 40# option. I considered the 55# but I've heard that using the larger wing with smaller tanks will make it difficult to dump air. So, the big choice for me is doughnut or horseshoe. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions.

I have the Evolve 60# wing which I use with doubles 119s. Add on a can light, two reels, a deco bottle, and a few other doo-dads and I think you'll find the 60 a better way to go vs the 40. In fact, the H website says: "The 40 lbs. Explorer wings provide a minimalist approach to buoyancy where double aluminum 80s and a wetsuit are the rig of choice. The widely popular 55 lbs. Explorer wings are ideally suited for use with situations requiring additional lift such as with heavy double steel tanks. "

Evolve is a bit more streamlined than the Explorer, and the donut design makes easier to dump from the lower dump valve and still maintain balance between left/right sides of the wing without needing to go heads-up to shift it. (Not easily done in a cave, wreck, or really anyplace where you'd just like to maintain horizontal trim.)

The only time I have trouble dumping air with the Evolve 60 is with the inflator hose if/when I get the top of the wing folded under my regs/hoses in an odd fashion. This problem would exist with either the 40 or the 60 (or Evolve vs Explorer) as it's a function of the height of the wing above the plate (which is roughly the same) vs the width.

Here's pictures of the 40 with AL80s and the 60 with steel 130's:

40:
Evolve40-al80s_backb.jpg

60:
Evolve60_pst130_back01b.jpg

Even better, here's a picture of JJ wearing an Evolve 60 with what looks to be 130's. Note how little of the wing is actually protruding beyond the sides of the tanks:

jj-france_evolve.jpg

Hi. I just ordered an Evolve 40 to be used - for now at least- w/ HP ST100's. Should I have gotten the 55 (its not too late)?? Thanks !
--Tom H.

For many years I dived with an OMS wing which was the horseshoe style, I then bought an Agir one, which was also horseshoe. I then decided to buy the Halcyon Evolve which I found much easier to dump from.

So for me I would go for the donut style, but is there any chance you could try both to see which you prefer.

Hi. I just ordered an Evolve 40 to be used - for now at least- w/ HP ST100's. Should I have gotten the 55 (its not too late)?? Thanks !
--Tom H.

I've been using the Evolve 40 with my LP85s, but your tanks will be about 4 lbs heavier apiece when full.

I use a 55lb wing with double Faber 108's which are the same as the 133's. I don't think you'd want smaller especially if you're gonna be sporting stages and lights reels etc.

I'm not a doubles diver (yet), but I'm a firm believe in donut-style wings....so that would be my reccomendation!

Keep in mind that Halcyon isn't your only choice for donut-style doubles wings. I have a DSS Torus 49 that works well with HP100's. I also have an Evolve 60 that I use with my double 119's. Both are excellent wings for doubles diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom